Careers at NAU
Northern Arizona University has multiple Graduate Assistant positions within the Athletics Department available for Fall 2017. The positions begin in August 2017 and are 1-year (9-10 month) appointments with the potential to be renewed upon a successful performance evaluation.
The program will provide Graduate Assistants with practical, professional experiences. The GAs are members of the department staff and will be fully exposed to the daily operations of a Division I Athletics Department in preparation for a future in the business of intercollegiate athletics.
Benefits may include full or partial tuition waivers, monthly stipend and/or books scholarships.
Graduate Assistant Athletics Communications
Northern Arizona University, an NCAA Division I institution and member of the Big Sky Conference, is currently accepting applications for the position of a graduate assistant in the Athletics Communications Office. The position reports directly to the assistant athletics director for communications. The application deadline is March 24.
Responsibilities will include but are not limited to: serving as the primary media contact for the 2016 NCAA National Champion men’s cross country program. The applicant will also be the main contact for the women’s cross country, men’s and women’s track & field and women’s golf programs. The applicant will also assist in designing, coordinating and producing all publications, including media guides, news releases and brochures; compiling statistics; maintaining archives; performing game day and press box operations; updating the athletics website; and serving as the athletics department liaison to local, regional and national media outlets.
Applicants must have a bachelor’s degree, as well as excellent written and oral communication skills. Previous experience working in a university athletics communications office is a plus. Additional consideration will also be given to applicants with a working knowledge of Adobe InDesign and Adobe Photoshop and various Stat Crew Systems software packages. Applicants must be self-starters who have strong computer skills, can pay attention to creativity and detail, and the ability to work with people from a variety of culturally diverse backgrounds.
This position requires extensive hours, including nights and weekends. Applicants interested in pursuing a career in the media relations/sports information field are best suited. Admission to the Graduate College and ability to work nights and weekends are required.
Graduate school tuition waiver, books, and a $900/month stipend will be provided. No benefits provided.
The expected start date is around August 7. For more information on Lumberjack Athletics, please visit www.NAUAthletics.com.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, three professional references, and a minimum of two writing/publication samples to Assistant Athletics Director for Communications, Denise Thompson, at Denise.Thompson@nau.edu
Graduate Assistant for Student-Athlete Development
NAU Athletics is looking for a graduate assistant within the Student-Athlete Development department. This individual will mentor student-athletes in areas such as study skills, time management, degree progress, and other areas to help them succeed academically, and enhance their overall collegiate experience. This position also requires constant communication with coaches and other staff members in the department and on campus to help student-athletes succeed.
- Mentor assigned student-athletes though setting of academic goals, assisting with study strategies, monitoring degree progress, and checking grades.
- Direct student-athletes to appropriate university resources necessary for academic, athletic, and personal success.
- Communicate with full time staff as necessary regarding best practices, changes in at-risk status, additional resources needed, etc.
- Assist with Academic Recognition events
- Assist in other areas of personal development
- Assist in teaching a freshman level class for student-athletes
- Supervise study hall
- Ability to work nights and weekends
- Understand that rules & compliance are a critical element of this position, and adhere to NCAA, Big Sky, and University rules
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Student-Athlete Development Staff
- Contribute to the maintenance of good working relationships with all members of the department and University.
- Must have a Bachelor’s degree from an Accredited Higher Education Institution
- Position is contingent on acceptance to a graduate program offered by Northern Arizona University by August 1, 2017
- Excellent communication skills; strong work ethic, well organized, self-started, and self-motivated; willingness to collaborate; ability to collaborate; ability to prioritize a workload and work under pressure in order to meet deadlines; exhibit a professional disposition
- Desire to obtain full-time employment in student-athlete support services
Please send a cover letter, resume and 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org not later than March 31, 2017 for priority consideration.
Graduate Assistant Athletics Compliance
Northern Arizona University, a NCAA Division I institution located in Flagstaff, Arizona, is seeking applications for a graduate assistant in the Athletics Compliance Office. This 9 month position’s responsibilities include but are not limited to maintaining student-athlete files/folders, updating Compliance Assistant (CA) and JumpForward, assisting with complimentary admissions pass list, processing National Letters of Intent, preparing rules education items, providing general customer service, and other monitoring duties as assigned.
Admission to the Graduate College and ability to work nights, weekends, and holidays as required.
Graduate school tuition waiver, books, and a $9,000 stipend will be provided. No benefits provided.
Interested candidates should submit a letter of interest, resume, and contact information for three references to Associate Athletics Director for Compliance Syed Moinuddin at email@example.com
Equal Employment OpportunityNorthern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.