Women’s Golf Team
Walk-On Tryout Policy
We evaluate not only on performance, ability and potential on the golf course, but academic standing, character and chemistry with the current members on the team.
Requirements to Tryout:
1. It is required that anyone interested in walking on to the NAU Women’s Golf team have competed in at least two seasons of Varsity Golf at their respective high school.
2. The person trying out will need to have competed in at least three summer tournaments prior to trying the fall semester. This will help ensure that the player has competed prior to trying out for the team.
3. It is the responsibility of the athlete to be certified through Northern Arizona University and registered the NCAA Eligibility Center prior to the tryout process. This includes a physical and signing of NCAA paperwork. There will be a fee charged by NAU for these services.
4. Tryouts will be held during the beginning of the fall semester and will include: playing two qualifying rounds with a target score of 162 (81 for each round), if you make the target score then we will have you return and practice once with the team and then play one more qualifying round with the current members of the team with a target score of 81. We will do this to access your abilities and how you interact with the current members of the team.
5. If someone makes it through the three qualifying rounds and they meet the academic, character and chemistry components then they will become a member of the NAU Women’s Golf team.
NAU coaches will gather contact information from everyone interested in walking on to the program. A schedule will be put together notifying the candidates of the days and times of the first two qualifying rounds.
*** The NAU Coaching Staff reserves the right to use their own discretion in accepting athletes into the program.