Football Hosts South Dakota St. On Saturday in First Round of FCS Playoffs
Game 12 Information
Opponent: No. 13 South Dakota State
Date/Time: Saturday, Nov. 30, 2013/6 p.m.
Location: Flagstaff, Ariz. (Walkup Skydome)
Radio: KBTK 105.1 FM
Money Radio 1510 AM & 99.3 FM
Sodexo Lumberjack Radio Network
Play-by-play - Mitch Strohman
Analyst - Kevin Stephens
Sideline - Reggie Eccleston
Audio Stream: www.BigTalkerRadio.com
Play-by-play - Peter Young
Analyst - Kevin O'Connell
On The Web: Live stats http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/scoreboard
Head Coaches: NAU: Jerome Souers (Career: 93-87 in 16 seasons; At NAU: same)
SDSU: John Stiegelmeier (Career: 102-76 in 16 seasons; At SDSU: same)
Against SDSU: Second Meeting
FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. – No. 8 Northern Arizona has earned an at-large bid to the 2013 Football Championship Subdivision Playoffs and NAU will host No. 13 South Dakota State in the first round on Saturday, Nov. 30 at 6 p.m. at the Walkup Skydome. The Lumberjacks finished the regular season 9-2 for the first time since the 1996 season, and will compete in the postseason for the first time since 2003.
The Lumberjacks are ranked No. 8 in The Sports Network and No. 9 in the NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision coaches poll.
Saturday's game will be broadcast live on KBTK 105.1 FM and www.BigTalkerRadio.com and Money Radio 1510 AM & 99.3 FM. Mitch Strohman will be providing play-by-play and Kevin Stephens will be doing color commentary. The game can be seen live on ESPN3 or by clicking here. Live stats for the game will be available on www.ESPN.com or by clicking here.
The Lumberjacks look to capture their seventh straight win and stay undefeated at home to advance to the second round of the playoffs. NAU is led by All-American running back Zach Bauman, who has rushed for 1,355 yards so far this season.
It's been 10 years since the NAU football team has competed in the postseason, and the last time out they stunned top-seeded McNeese State in the first round on the road to earn their first FCS playoff victory in program history.
On Saturday, NAU will face South Dakota State who posts an overall record of 8-4, backed by a talented running back of its own in Zach Zenner. He has rushed for 1,695 yards – the second best in the FCS this season.
Both teams defeated North Dakota and South Dakota this season.
Northern Arizona and South Dakota State will compete for the second time in school history. The last time the two teams played was in 1985.
Lumberjacks in the Polls
After a big win at Southern Utah in the snow, the Northern Arizona football team is ranked No. 8 in The Sports Network poll. College Sports Madness has the Lumberjacks ranked fifth, the FCS Coaches' Poll has NAU ranked ninth.
• Saturday's game will be the second meeting between the two teams.
• NAU won the first meeting 24-20 back in 1985.
• NAU finished second in the league standings with a 7-1 conference mark.
• NAU finished the regular season undefeated at home with a 5-0 record. It was the first home sweep since 1996.
• The Lumberjacks have been ranked in the top 25 all season long.
• SDSU's running back Zach Zenner reached the 1,500-yard mark for the season and the 4,000-yard mark for his career. He is second in FCS in rushing yards this season with 1,695 yards.
• South Dakota State's offense averages 30.2 points per game this year.
Did you know?
• On Sept. 28, 2013 senior running back Zach Bauman became the first player in NAU history to rush for 4,000 career yards. He broke the 5,000 career rushing yards mark on Nov. 23 at Southern Utah.
• On Nov. 2 Zach Bauman became the ninth player in FCS history to rush for 1,000 yards four times.
• NAU leads the Big Sky with six pick-sixes and is first in the nation in defensive touchdowns with eight.
• NAU's defense is led by junior Austin Hasquet, who has 82 tackles. The next 10 defensive stoppers are all seniors.