Men’s Hoops Travels to Sacramento St. Thursday, But Hosts Southern Utah on Saturday
For Immediate Release
Assistant Athletics Director for Communications: Denise.Thompson@nau.edu
February 4, 2014
Where: at Sacramento State (8-11, 4-6 Big Sky)
Sacramento, Calif. • The Nest
When: Feb. 6 at 8:05 p.m. MT
All-Time Series: NAU leads 33-10
Where: vs. Southern Utah (1-18, 0-1 Big Sky)
Flagstaff, Ariz. • Walkup Skydome
When: Feb. 8 at 6:30 p.m. MT
All-Time Series: NAU leads 14-10
Info for Sacramento State
Radio: KBTK 105.1 FM
Money Radio 1510 AM & 99.3 FM
Sodexo Lumberjack Radio Network
Play-by-play - Mitch Strohman
Analyst - Dave Brown
Audio Stream: www.BigTalkerRadio.com
Video Stream: www.WatchBigSky.com
Live Stats: www.hornetsports.com
FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. – The Northern Arizona (9-12, 6-4 Big Sky) men's basketball team will travel to Sacramento State (8-11, 4-6 Big Sky) on Thursday, Feb. 6 to take on the Hornets at 8:05 p.m. MT at The Nest. The Lumberjacks will then return to the Walkup Skydome on Saturday, Feb. 8 to host Southern Utah (1-18, 0-10 Big Sky) at 6:30 p.m. The first 200 NAU students will receive free Lumberjack sunglasses.
The last time NAU played Sacramento State and Southern Utah, the Lumberjacks captured their second and third victories in conference play. NAU defeated Sacramento State by 10 points and Southern Utah by 34 to sail away with the wins. The Hornets rank ninth in the league, while the Thunderbirds are winless in last place.
Northern Arizona is 2-3 in league play on the road. Junior guard Quinton Upshur leads NAU in scoring with 15.7 points per game. Senior forward Max Jacobsen (13.7 ppg) and junior guard Aaseem Dixon (12.6 ppg) round out the top three scorers.
Breaking Down Sacramento State
Northern Arizona has won the last three meetings versus Sacramento State, including a 75-65 victory on January 9 in Flagstaff. NAU leads the all-time series 33-10, including a 13-8 edge in Sacramento. The Hornets (8-11) are coming off a thrilling 75-foot buzzer beater win over top-ranked Weber State at home. Sacramento State is second to last in the league in scoring offense at 66.9 points per game, but third in the league in scoring defense holding its opponents to an average of 69.1 points per game.
Breaking Down Southern Utah
Flashback to January 13 and Northern Arizona was two points away from holding Southern Utah to its all-time opponent low at halftime. NAU held the Thunderbirds to 36 points for a 34-point victory on the road. It was the fifth largest margin of victory over a current Big Sky opponent in school history. NAU leads the all-time series 14-10 and 10-3 in Flagstaff. The T-Birds are in search of their first conference victory this season.
• The Jacks are in a three-way tie for third in the Big Sky with Portland State and North Dakota.
• NAU's win over Portland State on Jan. 18 marked the first time NAU began Big Sky play 5-1 since the 2007-08 season.
• NAU stunned reigning Big Sky Champion Montana on Jan. 2 to hand the Grizzlies their first conference loss in Dahlberg Arena in 31 games. The win was NAU's third straight Big Sky opening win.
• Quinton Upshur leads NAU with 15.7 points per game. Upshur is the only NAU player to cross the 30-point threshold this season.
• Five Lumberjacks have scored 20 or more points in a single game this season.
• The Lumberjacks were picked to finish seventh in the Big Sky Conference by the media and ninth by the league coaches.
Follow us on Twitter @NAUBasketball