FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. – Northern Arizona men's hoops welcomes San Diego in the Lumberjacks' home opener this Saturday. Tip-off versus the Toreros is scheduled for 2 p.m. at the Walkup Skydome. There will be a women's basketball game prior to the men's contest.
Saturday's game can be heard in Flagstaff (Hits 106.1 FM), Phoenix (MoneyRadio 1510 AM & 99.3 FM), Prescott Area (97.9 FM Eagle Rocks), Window Rock/Ft. Defiance, Ariz. & Gallup, N.M. (KHAC 880 AM) with Mitch Strohman and Dave Brown on the call. Fans can also tune in online at hits106.gcmaz.com. The game can be watched online at WatchBigSky.com.
Lumberjack fans can also tune their televisions to FOX Sports AZ, FOX Sports San Diego, FOX College Sports Pacific, and FOX Sports Prime Ticket as the game will be aired live on those stations.
• Jordyn Martin finished the week averaging 18.7 points and 9.0 rebounds per game. He shot 56.8 percent from the field and even stepped outside his zone to go 3-for-3 from behind the arc. He also went 11-for-14 at the free throw line for 78.6 percent.
• Ako Kaluna leads the team with 11.8 points to go with his 5.5 rebounds per game. Both Martin and Kaluna are amongst the best in the Big Sky in rebounding as the final month of non-conference play is here.
• NAU is looking to capture its first non-conference home game since Nov. 25, 2015 when it routed San Diego Christian 81-65.
Scouting San Diego
• San Diego hosted USC on Wednesday night, falling to the Trojans 76-55. The Toreros enter Saturday on a two-game losing streak as they're being outscored by a margin of -8.9.
• Senior forward Brett Bailey leads USD in scoring with 17.4 points and 7.0 rebounds per game. He has scored a minimum of 17 points in each outing as he dishes the ball pretty well too with a team-high 18 assists.
• The Toreros are led by second-year head coach Lamont Smith. Smith, played college ball at San Diego from 1994-99. Smith's previous coaching stops include Washington, Arizona State, New Mexico, Santa Clara, Saint Louis and Saint Mary's.
• NAU continues its three-game homestand with games against CSU Bakersfield (Dec. 5) and Little Rock (Dec. 14). The Lumberjacks final two non-conference games of 2016 will be on the road at UTEP (Dec. 17) and UIC (Dec. 20).
• San Diego leads the all-time series 3-9, but the two teams have not faced each other in over 10 years.