FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. – Spend your New Year's Eve with Northern Arizona men's basketball this Saturday. Tip-off is scheduled for 12 p.m. at the Walkup Skydome and tickets are specially priced at $5 for the holidays.
Saturday's game can be heard in Flagstaff (Hits 106.1 FM), Phoenix (MoneyRadio 1510 AM & 99.3 FM), Prescott Area (97.9 FM Eagle Rocks), Window Rock/Ft. Defiance, Ariz. & Gallup, N.M. (KHAC 880 AM) with Mitch Strohman and Dave Brown on the call. Fans can also tune in online at hits106.gcmaz.com. The game can be watched online at WatchBigSky.com.
• Jordyn Martin is averaging 10.9 points and 8.1 rebounds for NAU this season. After missing all of conference play last season, Martin looks to recapture his Defensive Player of the Year Award from the Year before.
• Another player ready for Saturday is senior Jaleni Neely, who has yet to play in a Big Sky game since stepping foot on the Flagstaff campus.
• Seven players on NAU's current roster have never played in a Big Sky conference game.
• The Lumberjacks went 3-15 last season in conference play. NAU went 2-7 at home and 1-8 on the road in league play a year ago.
• NAU has dropped its past two conference openers. The last time NAU opened league play with a win was Jan. 2, 2014 with a 73-65 road victory over Montana.
• NAU and Southern Utah have never played each other in the league opener.
• Saturday marks the first Big Sky game of the season for NAU and Southern Utah. The two teams split the series last year, 1-1. Both teams finished last season 3-15 in league play. NAU won the tie breaker and garnered the No. 11 seed in the Big Sky Tournament, while the Thunderbirds landed the No. 12 seed.
• The Thunderbirds are on a seven-game losing streak entering Saturday. They are 2-11 and have yet to win a road game this season. SUU defeated NAU in the Walkup Skydome last season, 69-59 on Feb. 27.
• Randy Onwuasor leads SUU with 22.0 points and 6.2 rebounds per game. In addition to leading SUU in points and rebounds, he also leads the T-Birds in assists (45) and steals (16).
• Head Coach Todd Simon is in his first season at the helm of the Thunderbird program.
• The Lumberjacks travel to North Dakota (Jan. 5) and Northern Colorado (Jan. 7) for their first conference road trip of the season.