Vanguard Hands Men's Tennis Second Loss, 6-1
RIVERSIDE, Calif. – In the first of their two matches this weekend, the Northern Arizona men's tennis team could not get their first win of the season. Despite junior Shaun Waters claiming a victory at No. 4 singles, the Lumberjacks dropped to 0-2, falling 6-1 to Vanguard Saturday afternoon on the UC Riverside campus.
"The score does us no justice," said director of tennis Kim Bruno. "We had our opportunities in every match one through six and in doubles. Everyone lost their matches by one break and the thing we have to take out of this is how are we going to play those big points better tomorrow. We just have to keep our heads up and move forward."
Waters' first singles victory as a Lumberjack after spending the last two seasons at Middle Tennessee State came against Robin Wagner, 6-4, 6-4. However, the Lumberjacks fell into a 1-0 after failing to take the doubles point for the second consecutive match.
Sophomore Dominic Bermudez and junior Robert Martin dropped their match at No. 2 doubles, but junior Patrick Schimmelbauer and senior Ben Lantz evened the doubles portion of play with their first victory of the season. The NAU duo, winners of eight doubles matches a year ago, easily defeated Vanguard's Wagner and Radek Rosiak, 8-2, leaving the doubles point up to the No. 1 match. But Waters and senior Robin Pezzutto dropped a close one to Lucas Pereira and Yahor Kryvaruchka, 8-6, clinching the doubles point for the Lions.
The Lions proceeded to take five of the six singles matches providing the final score. Lantz at No. 6, was a set away from winning his first singles contest of the season, but lost the final two sets following his opening set victory, 4-6, 6-0, 6-4 to Rosiak.
The Lumberjacks continue play in Riverside tomorrow at 1 p.m. when they take on host school, UC Riverside (0-2). NAU narrowly defeated the Highlanders last season in Glendale, 4-3.
1. Lucas Pereira/Yahor Kryvaruchka (VU) def. Robin Pezzutto/Shaun Waters (NAU), 8-3*
2. Lukas Larsson/Roger Muri (VU) def. Dominic Bermudez/Robert Martin (NAU), 8-2
3. Ben Lantz/Patrick Schimmelbauer (NAU) def. Radek Rosiak/Robin Wagner (VU), 8-2
*Clinched Doubles Point
Order of Finish: (2, 3, 1)
1. Pereira (VU) def. Pezzutto (NAU), 6-4, 6-1
2. Kryvaruchka (VU) def. Schimmelbauer (NAU), 6-4, 6-4
3. Muri (VU) def. Bermudez (NAU), 7-6, 6-3
4. Waters (NAU) def. Wagner (VU), 6-4, 6-4
5. Larsson (VU) def. Martin (NAU), 6-2, 7-5
6. Rosiak (VU) def. Lantz (NAU), 4-6, 6-0, 6-4
Order of Finish: (N/A)