Waters Wins Fourth Straight in Men's Tennis Loss to Air Force
USAFA, Colo. – A day after handing one Big Sky opponent a 6-1 defeat, Air Force did the same to the Northern Arizona men's tennis team on Sunday. The Falcons knocked off Portland State on Saturday and then returned to their home court to deny the Lumberjacks their third straight victory by the same 6-1 margin. NAU's only victory of the day came courtesy of junior Shaun Waters' fourth consecutive win at the No. 4 spot, 2-6, 6-1, 6-3 over the Falcons' Alex Lineberry.
After claiming the doubles point in their win against Northern Colorado on Saturday, the Lumberjacks were unable to repeat their success against the Falcons. Air Force swept through the three matches and in the process, snapped senior Ben Lantz and junior Patrick Schimmelbauer's three-match winning streak.
The Lumberjacks could not find success in singles play either with the Falcons clinching the match after earning wins at the top three spots. Waters temporarily halted Air Force with a three-set win at No. 4 after dropping the first set, but that would be the only win NAU could muster up against Air Force. Junior Robert Martin tried to extend his personal winning streak to three matches, but fell at No. 5 in a hard fought three-setter to Steven Young.
Since losing his first match of the season against Arizona, Waters has now won four straight to open up his career at NAU since transferring from Middle Tennessee State. The Melbourne, Australia native has four of the team's 10 singles wins through its first five matches.
NAU will have this week off to prepare for a three-match weekend beginning with a road date with Utah on Feb. 24.
1. Grant Taylor/Lance Wilhelm (AFA) def. Robin Pezzutto/Shaun Waters (NAU), 8-3*
2. Alex Grubbs/Andy Jackson (AFA) def. Dominic Bermudez/Robert Martin (NAU), 8-1
3. Joey Brandt/Ali Rizvi (AFA) def. Ben Lantz/Patrick Schimmelbauer (NAU), 8-6
*Clinched Doubles Point
Order of Finish: (2, 1, 3)
1. Wilhelm (AFA) def. Pezzutto (NAU), 6-1, 6-4
2. Jackson (AFA) def. Bermudez (NAU), 6-0, 6-2
3. Grubbs (AFA) def. Schimmelbauer (NAU), 6-4, 6-2**
4. Waters (NAU) def. Alex Lineberry (AFA), 2-6, 6-1, 6-3
5. Steven Young (AFA) def. Martin (NAU), 4-6, 7-6 (7-4), 10-8
6. Rizvi (AFA) def. Lantz (NAU), 6-2, 6-0
Order of Finish: (2, 1, 3, 4, 6, 5)