Say Collects First Career Win, Men's Tennis Falls to UT Arlington
LAS CRUCES, N.M. – The Northern Arizona men's tennis team wrapped up a rough weekend road trip to the state of New Mexico with a 6-1 loss to UT Arlington Sunday morning at the NMSU Tennis Complex. The Lumberjacks fell to 4-14 this season.
UT Arlington took control of the match from the start, sweeping the Lumberjacks in double play. Sophomore Dominic Bermudez and junior Patrick Schimmelbauer tried to prevent the sweep after NAU dropped the first two doubles matches, but came up short in a tiebreaker, falling to the Mavericks' David Subirats and Yauheni Yakauleu, 9-8 (10-8).
The Lumberjacks were then defeated in the first five singles matches, four of which were of the straight-set variety. Schimmelbauer battled his way to a third set after dropping the first set, but could not come away with a victory, falling to Subirats, 6-1, 5-7, 6-3, at the No. 4 spot.
Freshman Steven Say concluded the day with his first career victory in just his second singles match this spring. He claimed the Lumberjacks' only team point on Sunday by defeating Stefan Williams, 7-6, 6-4 at No. 6.
Next up for the Lumberjacks is match against Idaho in Moscow, Idaho on Friday. The match is set for 3 p.m.
2. David Subirats/Yauheni Yakauleu (UTA) def. Dominic Bermudez/Patrick Schimmelbauer, 9-8 (10-8)
*Clinched Doubles Point
Order of Finish: (1, 3, 2)
1. Celedinas (UTA) def. Pezzutto (NAU), 6-3, 6-4
2. Goritzka (UTA) def. Waters (NAU), 6-4, 6-4**
3. Yakauleu (UTA) def. Bermudez (NAU), 6-3, 6-3
4. Subirats (UTA) def. Schimmelbauer (NAU), 6-1, 5-7, 6-3
5. Moreno (UTA) def. Martin (NAU), 6-2, 6-3
6. Steven Say (NAU) def. Williams (UTA), 7-6, 6-4
Order of Finish: (1, 5, 2, 3, 4, 6)