TUCSON, Ariz. – Seniors Robert Martin and Shaun Waters claimed victory at No. 1 doubles for the second day in a row, but the Northern Arizona men's tennis team also lost for the second consecutive day, falling to Nevada, 7-0, at the LaNelle Robson Tennis Center. The loss dropped the Lumberjacks' record to 0-2 as they concluded their weekend stay in Tucson to open the season Saturday morning.
The Wolf Pack took the first doubles win of the day at No. 2, but Martin and Waters responded for the Lumberjacks with an impressive victory. Taking on the No. 7 doubles team in the Mountain region, the NAU senior tandem raced out to an early lead and held on for an 8-6 victory over Nevada's Victor Ouvrard and Fernando Sunago. With doubles play knotted at one match apiece, the Lumberjacks needed a victory at No. 3 to record their first team point of the early season, but juniors Alan Barrios and Dominic Bermudez's comeback came up a tad short, falling 8-6.
While the Wolf Pack would eventually sweep all six singles matches, the final two victories were hard fought and well-earned. Bermudez and Barrios, both natives of Tucson, tallied first-set wins in their respective matches at No. 3 and 6, but their opposition bounced back for second-set victories. The third-set 10-point tiebreaker would not fall either of their way as Bermudez and Barrios fell in three-sets ending the match.
After a rough weekend, the Lumberjacks will look to regroup in the following week before heading out to Las Vegas, Nev. for a pair of matches next weekend. NAU will play Utah State on Saturday, Jan. 26, and then will face UNLV the following day. Both matches are scheduled to start at 11 a.m.
1. Robert Martin/Shaun Waters (NAU) def. Victor Ouvrard/Fernando Sunago (UNR), 8-6
3. Robert Allan/Andrew Poustie (UNR) def. Alan Barrios/Dominic Bermudez (NAU), 8-6*
*Clinched Doubles Point
Order of Finish: (2, 1, 3)
1. Ouvrard (UNR) def. Waters (NAU), 6-2, 6-1
2. Echargui (UNR) def. Schimmelbauer (NAU), 6-2, 6-0
3. Sunago (UNR) def. Bermudez (NAU), 3-6, 7-5, 1-0 (10-6)
4. Allan (UNR) def. Black (NAU), 6-3, 6-0**
5. Mege (UNR) def. Martin (NAU), 6-2, 6-1
6. Philip Hinojosa (UNR) def. Barrios (NAU), 4-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-2)
Order of Finish: (2, 5, 4, 1, 6, 3)