USAFA, Colo. – Senior Robert Martin notched a win at No. 4 singles, but the Northern Arizona men's tennis team was shut out otherwise in a 6-1 loss to Air Force Sunday afternoon.
"The guys competed well but ran into a tough Air Force team today," said men's tennis assistant coach Joseph Heckley. "The difference was we didn't play the big points as well as we have. We failed to capitalize on opportunities, but there was good team energy and I'm excited for Northern Colorado tomorrow."
The Falcons swept through all three doubles matches and carried that momentum into singles play as they won five of the six matches. Martin got the Lumberjacks on the board and cut NAU's deficit to 2-1 momentarily with his win at No. 4. After battling through a tiebreak win in the first set, Martin won the second set easily in defeating Landon Kinsey, 7-6 (7-3), 6-1. The win was Martin's third of the season, which moved him into the team-lead with senior Patrick Schimmelbauer.
The Lumberjacks will aim to snap their two-match losing streak when they play Northern Colorado on Sunday in their first match in Big Sky play. The match is scheduled to start at 9 a.m. in the first match of a doubleheader between NAU and Northern Colorado with the women's match to follow at 1 p.m.
1. Grant Taylor/Lance Wilhelm (AFA) def. Robert Martin/Shaun Waters (NAU), 8-4
2. Alex Grubbs/Jack McCullers (AFA) def. Sarp Laleli/Patrick Schimmelbauer (NAU), 8-3
*Clinched Doubles Point
Order of Finish: (2, 3, 1)
1. No. 85 Wilhelm (AFA) def. Waters (NAU), 6-2, 6-3
2. Taylor (AFA) def. Schimmelbauer (NAU), 6-3, 7-5**
3. Young (AFA) def. Bermudez (NAU), 6-2, 6-1
4. Martin (NAU) def. Landon Kinsey (AFA), 7-6 (7-3), 6-1
5. Parks (AFA) def. Black (NAU), 6-4, 6-4
6. Ali Rizvi (AFA) def. Laleli (NAU), 6-3, 6-4
Order of Finish: (3, 4, 1, 2, 6, 5)