Martin Notches Win in Men's Tennis Loss at New Mexico State
LAS CRUCES, N.M. – The Northern Arizona men's tennis team secured a win from senior Robert Martin but was unable to notch any further victories on Friday as it dropped its fourth consecutive match, 6-1, to New Mexico State. The Lumberjacks fell to 2-8 for the spring season.
The Aggies recorded victories at all three doubles spots as they put the Lumberjacks in a hole to start off singles play. New Mexico State quickly put away NAU at the No. 2, 1 and 6 positions in singles in straight sets and clinched the team score at that moment, 4-0. However, the Lumberjacks received gutsy efforts from Martin as well as sophomore Kester Black and freshman Sarp Laleli in the final three singles matches even with the score decided.
Martin, playing in his first match of the season at No. 3 singles, recorded the team's only point on Friday, defeating Marc Westgate, 6-1, 1-6, 7-5. The victory was Martin's team-leading fourth singles win of the season. Black and Laleli, playing at the No. 4 and 5 positions respectively, both took their opponents the distance before falling. Black was denied his fourth win of the season by Germain Degardin in three sets, while Laleli could not make it two wins in a row for himself as he fell to Paul Denele in three sets.
Looking to snap their losing skid, the Lumberjacks return to the Aggie Tennis Courts on Saturday at 10 a.m. with a neutral match against UT-Arlington.
1. Luis Ramirez/Marc Westgate (NMSU) def. Kester Black/Shaun Waters (NAU), 8-4
2. Yannick Blank/Germain Degardin (NMSU) def. Sarp Laleli/Patrick Schimmelbauer (NAU), 8-6
3. Daniel Fernandez/Naveen Manivannan (NMSU) def. Robert Martin/Trevor Unger (NAU), 8-3*
*Clinched Doubles Point
Order of Finish: (1, 3, 2)
1. Ramirez (NMSU) def. Waters (NAU), 7-6, 6-1
2. Fernandez (NMSU) def. Schimmelbauer (NAU), 6-3, 6-4
3. Martin (NAU) def. Westgate (NMSU), 6-1, 1-6, 7-5
4. Degardin (NMSU) def. Black (NAU), 6-0, 4-6, 1-0 (13-11)
5. Paul Denele (NMSU) def. Laleli (NAU), 5-7, 6-1, 6-4
6. Strahinja Trecakov (NMSU) def. Alan Barrios (NAU), 6-3, 7-5**
Order of Finish: (2, 1, 6, 5, 3, 4)