STOCKTON, Calif. – The Northern Arizona men's tennis team battled Pacific in doubles play but came up short of claiming the doubles point on Friday in an eventual 6-1 loss to open a three-match weekend. The Lumberjacks received an impressive singles win from senior Patrick Schimmelbauer for their only team point as they fell to 2-10 overall heading into Saturday's contest against Sacramento State.
Doubles has been a point of emphasis for the Lumberjacks this season and they almost pulled off an impressive doubles victory from the Tigers, but the home team ultimately prevailed in three tightly contested matches. The Tigers won at No. 1 and 3 to take the doubles point, but the Lumberjacks hung tough. NAU's No. 1 duo of senior Shaun Waters and sophomore Kester Black fell, 8-5, to UOP's Alex Golding and Sem Verbeek, while senior Robert Martin and sophomore Trevor Unger dropped an 8-6 decision to Daniel Alameh and Erik Cederwall at No. 3. Schimmelbauer and junior Dominic Bermudez earned a hard-fought 9-7 victory at No. 2 for the pair's third win of the season.
The Tigers were able to carry their doubles momentum into singles play winning five of the six matches in straight sets. Schimmelbauer prevented a Pacific shutout with his fourth victory of the season at No. 2. He wrapped his day with a 6-3, 6-2, victory over Golding, who entered the season as the No. 13 ranked player in the Northwest Region, to cap off a 2-0 day individually.
The Lumberjacks will play their second conference match of the season and hopes to even their Big Sky record to 1-1 on Saturday when they play at Sacramento State at 4 p.m. The Hornets have won the past four conference championships and were picked to finish first again in 2013. NAU dropped its conference opener, 4-3, to Northern Colorado on Feb. 24.
1. Alex Golding/Sem Verbeek (UOP) def. Kester Black/Shaun Waters (NAU), 8-5
2. Dominic Bermudez/Patrick Schimmelbauer (NAU) def. Alex Hamilton/Denis Stolyarov (UOP), 9-7
3. Daniel Alameh/Erik Cederwall (UOP) def. Robert Martin/Trevor Unger (NAU), 8-6
Order of Finish: N/A
1. Verbeek (UOP) def. Waters (NAU), 6-2, 6-3
2. Schimmelbauer (NAU) def. Golding (UOP), 6-3, 6-2
3. Stolyarov (UOP) def. Bermudez (NAU), 6-3, 6-1
4. Ben Mirkin (UOP) def. Martin (NAU), 6-2, 7-5
5. Alameh (UOP) def. Black (NAU), 6-0, 6-0
6. Cederwall (UOP) def. Alan Barrios (NAU), 7-5, 6-2
Order of Finish: N/A