Bermudez Wins Three-Setter in Men's Tennis Loss at Montana
MISSOULA, Mont. – The Northern Arizona men's tennis team fell to Montana, 6-1, on Sunday in its final road match of the spring. The Lumberjacks dropped to 3-17 and 0-7 in the Big Sky leading into their final three matches of the season, all of which will be played at home in Sedona.
The Grizzlies won at No. 1 and 2 doubles to take the early advantage in the match. When the doubles point was decided, the Lumberjacks' No. 3 pair of senior Robert Martin and sophomore Trevor Unger was leading Cody Blum and Zach Drost, 5-4.
Moving into singles, Montana took care of the match with three straight-set victories to begin singles competition. The Lumberjacks got on the board at No. 3 where junior Dominic Bermudez took care of Michael Facey in three sets. Facey put Bermudez in the hole after a first set win, but Bermudez fought back to win the final two sets to win his eighth match of the spring. Bermudez improved to 8-9 overall and 5-2 in the Big Sky.
Montana wrapped up the match with wins at the final two singles positions, but sophomore Kester Black was leading his second set before he was forced to retire.
Next, the Lumberjacks will host Southern Utah on Saturday at 2 p.m. The match will be played at Enchantment Resort in Sedona, as will the two remaining matches this spring. Attendance will continue to be free for all fans to attend.
1. Mikolaj Caruk/Michael Facey (UM) def. Kester Black/Shaun Waters (NAU), 8-3*
2. Andrew Warren/Ethan Vaughn (UM) def. Dominic Bermudez/Patrick Schimmelbauer (NAU), 8-2
3. Cody Blum/Zach Drost (UM) vs. Robert Martin/Trevor Unger (NAU), unfinished (NAU leading 5-4)
*Clinched Doubles Point
Order of Finish: (2, 1)
1. Caruk (UM) def. Schimmelbauer (NAU), 6-1, 6-3**
2. Warren (UM) def. Waters (NAU), 6-4, 6-2
3. Bermudez (NAU) def. Facey (UM), 2-6, 6-3, 6-4
4. Vaughn (UM) def. Martin (NAU), 7-5, 6-0
5. Semion Branzburg (UM) def. Black (NAU), 7-6, 1-4 (retired)
6. Drost (UM) def. Alan Barrios (NAU), 6-1, 6-4
Order of Finish: (4, 2, 1, 3, 6, 5)