TUCSON, Ariz. – For the second straight day, the Northern Arizona men's tennis was competing in Tucson and the Lumberjacks came away with better results on Saturday with a 4-3 victory over UC Riverside. It is the first win for first year head coach Ki Kroll at Northern Arizona.
"It was such a close match throughout the day but I am thrilled to come away with our first win and get that out of the way," said Kroll. "The guys fought really hard for the win today so to start off the season 1-1 against some tough competition is very rewarding."
Junior transfer Jordan Gobatie started the Lumberjacks off at the No. 1 spot picking up his first career win at NAU by defeating UC Riverside's Jack Felich with ease 6-1, 6-0.
Freshman Alexandre Locci also earned his first win wearing the blue and gold as he defeated Luis Gastao 6-1, 6-4 picking up another point for the Lumberjacks.
Junior Kester Black was dominant in singles play today defeating Marcus Vizcarra 6-1, 6-1 to put the Lumberjacks up 3-2.
Junior Alan Barrios is off to a great start for the Lumberjacks this season at No. 6 defeating Riverside's Sean Yun. Barrios won a tough first set 6-5 (6) and then handled Yun in the second set 6-2. Barrios win sealed the first win of the season for the Lumberjacks.
"Alan had a real tough match and Alan was determined to win," said Kroll. "He played some good sets and was able to clinch the win for us."
Barrios and Locci were the lone duo from the Lumberjacks to pick up a win in doubles play defeating Gastao and Cooper Bridge 6-1.
"Throughout the entire day, every player was engaged in their teammate's matches," said Kroll. "We played united and together today, which was critical for us to pull out the win today."
The Lumberjacks will be back in Tucson next weekend, Feb. 1 when they face Gonzaga at Arizona.
- Jordan Gobaite (NAU) def. Jack Felich (UCR) 6-1, 6-0
- Alexandre Locci (NAU) def. Luis Gastao (UCR) 6-1, 6-4
- Julian Ruffin (UCR) def. Trevor Unger (NAU) 6-1, 6-2
- Cooper Bridge (UCR) def. Fabio Tomasetti (NAU) 2-6, 6-5 (6), 1-0 (10-7)
- Kester Black (NAU) def. Marcus Vizcarra (UCR) 6-1, 6-1
- Alan Barrios (NAU) def. Sean Yun (UCR) 6-5 (6), 6-2
Order of finish: 1, 5, 2, 3, 6, 4
- Jack Felich/ Julian Ruffin (UCR) def. Trevor Unger/Jordan Gobatie (NAU) 6-4
- Marcus Vizcarra/Calvin Ngo (UCR) def. Fabio Tomasetti/Kester Black (NAU) 6-0
- Alan Barrios/Alexandre Locci (NAU) def. Luis Gastao/ Cooper Bridge (UCR) 6-1
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1