TUCSON, Ariz. – The Northern Arizona men's tennis team played its third straight match in Tucson to start out the season, this time facing Gonzaga. The Lumberjacks received singles wins from junior Jordan Gobatie, freshman Fabio Tomasetti and junior Kester Black but the Lumberjacks fell short to the Bulldogs 4-3. Play was delayed three hours due to rain in Tucson.
"It was a tough loss for us today," said head coach Ki Kroll. "It is disappointing but as a young team we need to learn from this loss."
Gobatie continues his impressive start at NAU picking up his second straight win at the No. 1 spot in singles play defeating Gonzaga's Hayden Smith 6-1, 6-2. Tomasetti earned his first win of the season in singles play defeating Vicente Varas 6-1, 6-1 at No. 4. Black picked up the final win for Northern Arizona against Gonzaga's Muzeen Ismath 6-4, 6-1 at the No. 5 slot.
With doubles play finishing the day, the Lumberjacks were not able to pick up the doubles point, receiving one win from Tomasetti and Gobatie defeating Vladimir Mijatovic and Varas 6-1.
Tomasetti and Gobatie had the best performances of the day for the Lumberjacks as they won in singles and doubles. The two combined to win 24 of their 29 games played in singles.
The deciding match came down in doubles between NAU's junior Alan Barrios and freshman Alexandre Locci against Gonzaga's Pablo Mosquera Perez and Nick Kamisar and the Bulldog's were able to pull of the win 6-4 to give Gonzaga the win.
With the loss, the Lumberjacks fall to 1-2 and will take a week off from play before they head back on the road to New Mexico for three matches in three straight days facing New Mexico, New Mexico State and Missouri Kansas City in Las Cruces, N.M. starting on Feb. 14.
- Jordan Gobatie (NAU) def. Muzeen Ismath (GU) 6-1, 6-2
- Vladimir Mijatovic (GU) def. Alexandre Locci (NAU) 6-3, 6-3
- Nick Kasimar (GU) def. Trevor Unger (NAU) 6-4, 6-3
- Fabio Tomasetti (NAU) def. Vicente Varas (GU) 6-1, 6-1
- Kester Black (NAU) def. Muzeen Ismath (GU) 6-4, 6-1
- Pablo Mosquera Perez (GU) def. Alan Barrios (NAU) 6-7 (5), 6-2, 6-4
Order of Finish: 4, 1, 5, 2, 3, 6
- Muzeen Ismath/Hayden Smith (GU) def. Trevor Unger/Kester Black (NAU) 6-3
- Fabio Tomasetti/Jordan Gobatie (NAU) def. Vicente Varas/Vladimir Mijatovic (GU) 6-1
- Pablo Mosquera Perez/Nick Kamisar (GU) def. Alan Barrios/Alexandre Locci (NAU) 6-4
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3