NAU Takes Down Aggies 4-2
LAS CRUCES, N.M. – In their second match in two days, the Northern Arizona men's tennis team faced New Mexico State in Las Cruces and the Lumberjacks were able to dominate the Aggies and pull out the 4-2 victory on the road.
"This was a huge win for us beating a tough team on the road," said head coach Ki Kroll. "It all started with the 6-5 win at the No. 2 spot and getting eged out No. 3 we quickly regrouped and everybody embraced the fight to come."
The Lumberjacks started off play today dropping the doubles point as the Aggies were able to pick up two wins to take an early 1-0 lead in the match.
"It is hard to pick a standout player because everyone fought so hard today and I am proud of my team for that," said Kroll. "It was a great day to be a Lumberjack."
Alexandre Locci got things going in singles play picking up the first win for NAU at the No. 2 spot defeating New Mexico State's Strahinja Trecakov 6-3, 6-2 to get his second win of the season. Jordan Gobatie continues to impress at the top of the lineup defeating Marc Westgate 6-2, 6-0 for his third win this season.
"As a team this was a massive win for us because NMSU is a solid team" said Gobatie. "We came together and performed really well as a single unit. I needed to bounce back after yesterday's performance so today I wanted to come out and dominate at the number one spot."
Kester Black had a gritty performance overcoming an injury during his match at the No. 5 position and pulling out a win over Germain Degardin 6-3, 6-3. Black's win was the clincher for the Lumberjacks today as they earned their second win of the season.
NAU will conclude its three-match weekend in New Mexico tomorrow when they face Missouri Kansas City. The match will take place at 10 a.m. at the New Mexico State Tennis Complex.
- Marc Westgate/Liam Goldberg (NMSU) def. Alan Barrios/Trevor Unger (NAU) 6-2
- Jordan Gobatie/Fabio Tomasetti (NAU) def. Paul Denele/Naveen Manivannan (NMSU) 6-5 (5)
- Strahinja Trecakov/Germain Degardin (NMSU) def. Kester Black/Alexandre Locci (NAU) 6-5 (4)
- Jordan Gobatie (NAU) def. Marc Westgate (NMSU) 6-2, 6-0
- Alexandre Locci (NAU) def. Strahinja Trecakov (NMSU) 6-3, 6-2
- Fabio Tomasetti (NAU) def. Paul Denele (NMSU) 6-5 (2), 6-3
- Trevor Unger (NAU) & Liam Goldberg (NMSU) 6-5 (5), 5-5 --- DNF
- Kester Black (NAU) def. Germain Degardin (NMSU) 6-3, 6-3
- Patrick Pfister (NMSU) def. Alan Barrios (NAU) 6-1, 6-2