LAS CRUCES, N.M. – The Northern Arizona men's tennis team concluded its three-match weekend in New Mexico with a match against Missouri Kansas City. Kester Black clinched another match for the Lumberjacks, which gave Northern Arizona the 4-1 victory over the Kangaroos.
"We kept the momentum going and got a solid win against a good team today," said Kroll. "Despite his injury, Kester clinched the third team win, which is very exciting for us."
For the second straight match, Black was able to fight through an injury and pull out a win at the No. 5 position. Black was able to come up with a win in a tough three-set match against Missouri Kansas City's Conner Edwards 6-2, 5-6 (4), 6-3.
"Everyone fought really hard to get the win today," said Black. "Even though I was slightly injured, I managed to pull through thanks to the great team spirit from the guys. We have a lot of confidence going into next week against LMU."
Jordan Gobatie continues to set the tone for Northern Arizona at the No. 1 spot and was able to pick up his fourth win of the season taking down UMKC's Mike Psarros 6-4, 6-4 for his second straight win in singles play.
After playing the last two matches at the No. 3 position, Fabio Tomasetti is 2-0 after defeating UMKC's Andrey Smirnov 6-3, 6-3. The Lumberjacks are now riding a two-match winning streak and ended their three-match road trip in New Mexico with a 2-1 record.
"Now we need to build off such a strong weekend with conference play right around the corner," said Kroll.
The Lumberjacks will now head back to Flagstaff this week before they hit the road to face Loyola Marymount on Feb. 22.
- Mike Psarros/Tomas Patino (UMKC) def. Jordan Gobatie/Fabio Tomasetti (NAU) 6-2
- Kester Black/Trevor Unger (NAU) def. Conner Edwards/Vinh Pham (UMKC) 6-4
- Alan Barrios/Alexandre Locci (NAU) def. Daniel De Zamacona/Uldis Gaismins (UMKC) 6-4
- Jordan Gobatie (NAU) def. Mike Psarros (UMKC) 6-4, 6-4
- Tomas Patino (UMKC) def. Alexandre Locci (NAU) 6-5 (2), 6-3
- Fabio Tomasetti (NAU) def. Andrey Smirnov (UMKC) 6-3, 6-3
- Trevor Unger (NAU) & Vinh Pham (UMKC) 6-4, 4-6, 1-4 --- DNF
- Kester Black (NAU) def. Conner Edwards (UMKC) 6-2, 5-6 (4), 6-3
- Alan Barrios (NAU) & Uldis Gaismins (UMKC) 4-6, 6-5 (5) --- DNF