LAS VEGAS, Nev. – The Northern Arizona men's tennis team closed out this week's play on the road in Las Vegas against UNLV. The Lumberjacks took just one singles match to three sets and the Rebels took down Northern Arizona 6-1 to end the Lumberjacks four-match winning streak.
"Tough loss today against the Rebels," said head coach Ki Kroll. "Overall I thought we competed well and as long as we keep improving, then we are on the right track."
For the second straight match, the Lumberjacks were not able to come away with the doubles point, losing two matches to the Rebels. At the No. 1 position, UNLV's Ace Matias and Denys Pume took down Northern Arizona's Kester Black and Fabio Tomasetti with the 8-2 win in doubles. Willie Sublette and Tamas Batyi clinched the doubles point for the Rebels as they defeated Alexandre Locci and Blaine Mengert 8-0 to start out the match 1-0.
The Lumberjacks were only able to come away with one win in singles play at the came from Black at the No. 4 position. Black won a tough first set over the Rebels Sublette 7-6 and then the native of Scotland dominated the second set with a 6-1 win and then Black finished off Sublette in the third set with a 10-3 win. The win was Black's fifth straight win in singles play.
The Lumberjacks will now head back to Flagstaff and prepare for next week's matchup against Montana at March 30 in Flagstaff.
- Ace Matias/Denys Pume (UNLV) def. Kester Black/Fabio Tomasetti (NAU) 8-2
- Willie Sublette/Tamas Batyi (UNLV) def. Alexandre Locci/Blaine Mengert (NAU) 8-0
- Dimitar Petrov/Jakob Amilon (UNLV) & Jordan Gobatie/Trevor Unger (NAU) 5-3 DNF
Order of Finish: 1, 2
- Ace Matias (UNLV) def. Jordan Gobatie (NAU) 6-2, 6-1
- Denys Pume (UNLV) def. Alexandre Locci (NAU) 6-3, 6-3
- Tamas BAtyi (UNLV) def. Fabio Tomasetti (NAU) 6-4, 6-1
- Kester Black (NAU) def. Willie Sublette (UNLV) 6-7, 6-1, 10-3
- Dimitar Petrov (UNLV) def. Trevor Unger (NAU) 6-4, 6-1
- Jakob Amilon (UNLV) def. Blaine Mengert (NAU) 6-3, 6-2
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1, 6, 4, 5