Lumberjacks Take Down Lopes 4-3
FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. – The Northern Arizona men's tennis team faced off against in-state rival Grand Canyon for the team's final non-conference match and the Lumberjacks were able to come away with the 4-3 win over the Lopes.
"We competed well today and came away with a good win against a good team" said head coach Ki Kroll. "We need to carry this momentum into Sunday against Sacramento State."
The Lumberjacks were able to get two wins in doubles play to start the match 1-0. Grand Canyon got the first win in doubles at the No. 3 spot but the Lumberjacks stormed back and took two straight to grab the doubles point. Fabio Tomasetti and Trevor Unger got NAU on the scoreboard as the No. 1 team with the 8-5 victory over Ahmad Saleem and Felix Schueller to tie it up at 1-1. The deciding match was at the No. 2 court and Alexandre Locci and Jordan Gobatie sealed the doubles point for the Lumberjacks as they pulled out a tough 8-7 (5-0) win over Benjamin Collomb and Alexander Roggenkamp.
The Lumberjacks carried that momentum into singles play as Kester Black got the Lumberjacks' first win in singles at No. 4 with the 6-2, 6-1 win over Schueller. Grand Canyon got their first singles win at No. 3 to make the score 2-1. At the No. 1 spot, Gobatie was able to defeat Nicolas Moulin 6-1, 6-3 to give the Lumberjacks their third win on the day.
The Lopes fought back at the No. 5 spot as GCU's Benjamin Collomb took down Unger 6-1, 6-1 to keep the Lopes in the match.
The deciding match came at the No. 2 court when Locci was able to seal the win for the Lumberjacks in a tough three set match. Locci took the first set over Saleem 6-4 but Saleem was able to stay alive in the second set with the 7-6 (7-0) win. With the match on the line, Locci stepped up and was able to win his third set 6-2 and take down the Lopes.
The Lumberjacks next match will be on Sunday, as Northern Arizona faces the defending Big Sky champions, Sacramento State. The match will begin at 10 a.m. at Continental Country Club.
- Trevor Unger/Fabio Tomasetti (NAU) def. Ahmad Saleem/Felix Schueller (GCU) 8-5
- Jordan Gobatie/Alexandre Locci (NAU) def. Benjamin Collomb/Alexander Roggenkamp (GCU)8-7 (7-5)
- Nicolas Moulin/Adrian Legarreta (GCU) def. Blaine Mengert/Kester Black (NAU) 8-3
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
- Jordan Gobatie (NAU) def. Nicolas Moulin (GCU) 6-1, 6-3
- Alexandre Locci (NAU) def. Ahmad Saleem (GC) 6-4, 6-7 (5-0), 6-2
- Adrian Legarreta (GCU) def. Fabio Tomasetti (NAU) 6-1, 2-6, 6-4
- Kester Black (NAU) def. Felix Schueller (GCU) 6-2, 6-1
- Benjamin Collomb (GCU) def. Trevor Unger (NAU) 6-1, 6-1
- Alexander Roggenkamp (GCU) def. Blaine Mengert (NAU) 6-3, 6-1
Order of Finish: 4, 3, 1, 5, 6