VANCOUVER, Wash. – Make it four in a row for the Northern Arizona men's tennis team as the Lumberjacks ended their Big Sky road trip with a 5-2 win over Portland State to improve to 11-8 this season.
"I am happy we were able to pull things together after doubles," said head coach Ki Kroll. "It is tough being down a point but we seemed to turn things up for the win. Everyone is excited and now we need to keep pushing forward."
After dropping the doubles point, the Lumberjacks responded by taking five of the six singles matches with wins on the No. 1 court and from positions No. 3 to No. 6. Alexandre Locci continues to impress at the No. 1 position as the native of France was able to defeat Portland State's Brent Wheeler 6-1, 6-0 for his second win in his last three singles matches.
Fabio Tomasetti picks up his second win in his last three singles matches as he was able to take down the Vikings' Abhinav Mishra on the No. 3 court. Mishra came away with only four games in two sets and Tomasetti walked away with the 6-2, 6-2 victory.
Kester Black won his third straight singles match over Alec Marx in two sets by a score of 6-3, 6-4. Black went undefeated this week in singles.
Trevor Unger also went unbeaten this week in singles play after clinching the match yesterday for the Lumberjacks over Eastern Washington. Unger followed up yesterday's performance with a 6-1, 6-2 victory over Jonathan Pike.
On the No. 6 court, senior Alan Barrios battled in the first set with Nate Chart and came away with the 7-5 victory and Barrios left no room for a comeback in the second set with the 6-2 victory.
The Lumberjacks now improve to 6-3 in the Big Sky with a shot at third place in the standings with one match remaining. The Lumberjacks will end the regular season in Cedar City against Southern Utah.
- Brent Wheeler/Ian Risenhoover (PSU) def. Fabio Tomasetti/Trevor Unger (NAU) 8-7 (5)
- Jordan Gobatie/Alexandre Locci (NAU) def. Kacper Stelmaszak/Wil Cochrane (PSU) 8-2
- Alec Marx/Abhinav Mishra (PSU) def. Alan Barrios/Kester Black (NAU) 8-7 (2)
- Alexandre Locci (NAU) def. Brent Wheeler (PSU) 6-1, 6-0
- Kacper Stelmaszak (PSU) def. Jordan Gobatie (NAU) 2-6, 7-5, 10-5
- Fabio Tomasetti (NAU) def. Abhinav Mishra (PSU) 6-2, 6-2
- Kester Black (NAU) def. Alec Marx (PSU) 6-3, 6-4
- Trevor Unger (NAU) def. Jonathan Pike (PSU) 6-1, 6-2
- Alan Barrios (NAU) def. Nate Chart (PSU) 7-5, 6-2