IRVINE, Calif. — The NAU Men's Tennis team won their first match of the season against the UC Irvine Anteaters in what was a close 4-3 win. After losing to San Diego State on Friday, the Lumberjacks remained in California to compete against the Big West opponent Sunday afternoon. The Lumberjacks are now 1-3 this season.
"We really came out to play today," said Director of Tennis Ki Kroll. "In doubles, the No. 1 pair came back from an 0-4 start to win 7-5 and clinch the doubles point. The guys cheered each other on and really fought hard until the end."
To start doubles action, Thomas Fisher and Felix Schumann teamed up to take on the Anteaters on court three; however, the pair fell short of victory, losing 6-4. The Lumberjacks answered with two match wins from No. 13 Tim Handel and Lucas Taylor on court two and Ruben Montano and Sebastian Eguez on court one. Northern Arizona clinched the doubles point after Montano/Eguez came from behind to win 7-5.
Kroll was proud to see the men be a little more aggressive and ultimately get their first win of the season, "Beating UCI on their home court is a great accomplishment for our team."
In singles, Fisher claimed his first win of the season over UCI's Bruce Man-Son-Hing 6-4, 6-1 putting NAU up 2-0. The Anteaters answered with No. 95 Sebastian Heim besting nationally ranked Handel 6-0, 6-4 on court one.
The match went back and forth for both sides as NAU and UCI alternated match wins. It all came down to court three and four where Taylor and Eguez battled to three sets against UCI's Luis Lopez and Vatsal Bajpai, respectively. In the third set, Eguez clinched the game and the match with a 6-2, 3-6, 6-3 victory. The Lumberjacks won 4-3 at the Anteaters' Tennis Complex.
Northern Arizona will continue on the road to take on the University of Arizona Saturday, Feb. 18 at 2 p.m.
- Sebastian Eguez/Ruben Montano (NAU) def. Mason Hansen/Sebastian Heim (UCI) 7-5
- Tim Handel/Lucas Taylor (NAU) def. Luis Lopez/Luca Marquard (UCI) 6-2
- Vatsal Bajpai/Bruce Man-Son-Hing (UCI) def. Thomas Fisher/Felix Schumann (NAU) 6-3
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1
- #95 Sebastian Heim (UCI) def. Tim Handel (NAU) 6-0, 6-4
- Luca Marquard (UCI) def. Felix Schumann (NAU) 7-5, 6-3
- Luis Lopez (UCI) def. Lucas Taylor (NAU) 6-0, 5-7, 6-3
- Sebastian Eguez (NAU) def. Vatsal Bajpai (UCI) 6-2, 3-6, 6-3
- Ruben Montano (NAU) def. Andrew Gong (UCI) 6-2, 6-2
- Thomas Fisher (NAU) def. Bruce Man-Son-Hing (UCI) 6-4, 6-1
Order of Finish: 6, 1, 5, 2, 4*, 3