TUCSON, Ariz. — The NAU Men's Tennis team lost on the road against the Wildcats 5-2 after avoiding a rained out match. The match was originally scheduled for Feb. 18; however, due to weather, it was moved up a day. The Lumberjacks are now 1-4 this season, with their sole win over UC Irvine last weekend.
In doubles, Northern Arizona could not overcome Arizona. The Wildcats won all three matches 6-2, 6-4 and 7-6, with court three ending with a tiebreaker. The 'Jacks struggled to make up the points, winning only two of the singles matches. No. 13 Tim Handel beat junior Shoti Meparidze 7-5, 2-6, 6-0 on court one and Lucas Taylor defeated junior Trent Botha 6-3, 2-6, 6-4 on court three.
The match was decided at 4-1; however, the teams continued play giving the 'Jacks the opportunity to get another win in singles. Both Handel and Taylor were the only 'Jacks to put up points and the Wildcats won with a final score of 5-2.
Northern Arizona will have a full week of practice before their next match against both Air Force and Seattle.
- Trent Botha/Oliver Plaskett (ARIZ) def. Sebastian Eguez/Ruben Montano (NAU) 6-2
- Shoti Meparidze/Will Kneale (ARIZ) def. Tim Handel/Lucas Taylor (NAU) 6-4
- Alejandro Reguant/Shoki Kasahara (ARIZ) def. Thomas Fisher/Felix Schumann (NAU) 7-6
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3
- Tim Handel (NAU) def. Shoti Meparidze (ARIZ) 7-5, 2-6, 6-0
- Will Kneale (ARIZ) def. Felix Schumann (NAU) 6-3, 4-6, 6-4
- Lucas Taylor (NAU) def. Trent Botha (ARIZ) 6-3, 2-6, 6-4
- Alejandro Reguant (ARIZ) def. Sebastian Eguez (NAU) 6-2, 6-6, retired
- Shoki Kasahara (ARIZ) def. Ruben Montano (NAU) 6-3, 6-2
- Oliver Plaskett (ARIZ) def. Thomas Fisher (NAU) 6-1, 6-3
Order of Finish: 6, 5, 1, 4*, 3, 2