U.S. AIR FORCE ACADEMY, Colo. — The NAU Men's Tennis team garnered their second win of the season over the U.S. Air Force Academy Falcons 5-2. The Lumberjacks are now 2-4 this season and have one more match before starting conference competition next weekend.
"We really stepped it up today against a very dangerous Air Force team," said Director of Tennis Ki Kroll. "Our intensity was good, and we came to play."
In doubles, the Lumberjacks started off with the lead on court three. Pair Felix Schumann and Thomas Fisher took on sophomore Luke Sanderson and freshman Mack Galvin for a 6-2 win before USAFA tied it up. In what was a doubles-clinching match, Ruben Montano and Sebastian Eguez gave NAU the point after winning 6-4 against senior Lucas Fumagalli and junior Max Olson.
"Our No. 1 team came out strong to clinch the point, which gave us momentum going into singles" said Kroll. "I am very pleased with our performance today."
The Lumberjacks overpowered the Falcons only dropping two matches. Air Force tried to come back in singles with Olson winning the first match 6-2, 6-2 over Schumann; however, the 'Jacks won the next three matches putting the score at 4-1. With only two singles matches left, NAU's second win was decided. Air Force then mustered up another point on court five before losing the match on court six to NAU's Fisher.
The Lumberjacks take on Seattle at Air Force tomorrow, Feb. 26. The Redhawks are 7-7 overall and 3-4 against Big Sky opponents. Match time is set for 10 a.m.
- Sebastian Eguez/Ruben Montano (NAU) def. Lucas Fumagalli/Max Olson (USAFA) 6-4
- Tadhg Collins/Isaac Perez (USAFA) def. Tim Handel/Lucas Taylor (NAU) 6-2
- Thomas Fisher/Felix Schumann (NAU) def. Luke Sanderson/Mack Galvin (USAFA) 6-2
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1
- Tim Handel (NAU) def. Luke Fumagalli (USAFA) 7-6 (4), 6-3
- Max Olson (USAFA) def. Felix Schumann (NAU) 6-2, 6-2
- Lucas Taylor (NAU) def. Luke Sanderson (USAFA) 6-3, 6-2
- Sebastian Eguez (NAU) def. Mack Galvin (USAFA) 7-6 (10), 6-3
- Isaac Perez (USAFA) def. Ruben Montano (NAU) 1-6, 6-3, 10-4
- Thomas Fisher (NAU) def. Tadhg Collins (USAFA) 6-2, 6-2
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1, 4*, 5, 6