MISSOULA, Mont. — The Northern Arizona Men's Tennis team traveled to Montana to take on the Grizzlies in their first conference match of the season, picking up their first win 4-3.The Lumberjacks are now 4-4 overall and 1-0 in conference going into Sunday's match against Montana State.
"We had a great start today, getting the doubles point, which in the end put us over the top," said Director of Tennis Ki Kroll.
Northern Arizona dominated in doubles winning 6-3, 6-2 on courts three and one, respectively. Last weekend, Kroll switched up the pairs right before starting conference and found a more aggressive team. Lucas Taylor and Sebastian Eguez, Ruben Montano and Tim Handel and Felix Schumann and Thomas Fisher paired for the second weekend in a row winning the doubles point for the 'Jacks.
"They had great crowd support, but ultimately we fought hard for the win. Next stop Montana State," said Kroll. "We will need to build on today's intensity to get a win tomorrow."
In singles, the Grizzlies tied it up to start beating Schumann 6-4, 6-0 on court two. The Lumberjacks responded on courts one, four and three with wins from Handel, Eguez and Taylor. Northern Arizona clinched the match at 4-1. The Grizzlies didn't stop there; however, putting up two more points on the board before calling the match an NAU win.
The Lumberjacks remain on the road to face Montana State in Bozeman, Mont. Sunday, March 5. The match is set for 10 a.m. against the Bobcats.
- Lucas Taylor/Sebastian Eguez (NAU) def. Mimnagh-Fleming, P./Korkh, Max (UM) 6-2
- Ruben Montano/Tim Handel (NAU) def. Schmidl, Yannick/Canellopoulos, Alex (UM) no result
- Felix Schumann/Thomas Fisher (NAU) vs. Casadevall, Victor/Tejerina, Ignacio (UM) 6-3
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
- Tim Handel (NAU) def. Schmidl, Yannick (UM) 6-4, 6-2
- Casadevall, Victor (UM) def. Felix Schumann (NAU) 6-3, 6-0
- Lucas Taylor (NAU) def. Mimnagh-Fleming, P. (UM) 7-5, 4-6, 6-3
- Sebastian Eguez (NAU) def. Korkh, Max (UM) 7-6, 7-5
- Canellopoulos, Alex (UM) def. Ruben Montano (NAU) 5-7, 6-4, 10-8
- Tejerina, Ignacio (UM) def. Thomas Fisher (NAU) 7-6, 3-6, 10-8
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 4, 3*, 6, 5