BOZEMAN, Mont. — In their second conference match, the Northern Arizona Men's Tennis team took on the Montana State Bobcats. After beating Montana 4-3 Saturday afternoon, the Lumberjacks picked up their fourth consecutive win on the road beating the Bobcats 6-1. The 'Jacks are now 5-4 overall and 2-0 in conference.
"We fought hard in doubles, but came up short," said Director of Tennis Ki Kroll. "That didn't slow us down from sweeping in singles."
Northern Arizona was just shy of winning the doubles point losing to the Bobcats 7-5 and 6-4. The Lumberjacks paired Lucas Taylor and Sebastian Eguez, Ruben Montano and Tim Handel and Felix Schumann and Thomas Fisher for the third weekend in a row. With this new combination of players, the Lumberjacks have won six doubles matches. Against Montana State, the 'Jacks tied it up before falling to the Bobcats on court one.
"I thought we competed very well today, it's very tough playing in Montana," said Kroll. "It was a great team win for us."
The Lumberjacks swept the Bobcats in six straight singles matches coming back from a 1-0 deficit to win by five. No. 13 Handel tied the score at 1-1 for the Lumberjacks after beating MSU's Kellen Bates 6-4, 6-3. Then Taylor, who was named Big Sky Player of the Week last week, took the lead at 2-1 after beating MSU's Rok Sitar 7-5, 6-1. Taylor remains in the lead for NAU in singles wins with 7. From there the 'Jacks won match after match, sweeping the Bobcats before they could even respond.
After five weeks on the road and nine matches, the Lumberjacks have one more week of travel before their home opener. The 'Jacks have a week of practice before facing a five-match week starting Sunday, March 12 against UNLV at noon. The Lumberjacks will remain on the road Tuesday, March 14 to compete against New Mexico at 11 a.m. The men will then return home for the first time this season to host the Idaho Vandals March 16 at 10 a.m. The following day, Northern Arizona will compete in a double header at home against UC Riverside at 10 a.m. and Southern Utah at 2 p.m.
- Alexander Flink/ Rok Sitar (MSU) def. Lucas Taylor/Sebastian Eguez (NAU) 6-4
- Ruben Montano/Tim Handel (NAU) def. Kellen Bates/Adrian Torrico (MSU) 6-4
- Kasper Parlklo/Dylan Harvala (MSU) def. Felix Schumann/Thomas Fisher (NAU) 7-5
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1
- Tim Handel (NAU) def. Kellen Bates (MSU) 6-4, 6-3
- Lucas Taylor (NAU) def. Rok Sitar (MSU) 7-5, 6-1
- Felix Schumann (NAU) def. Adrian Torrico (MSU) 7-6(2), 6-4
- Sebastian Eguez (NAU) def. Alexander Flink (MSU) 6-1, 3-6, 6-1
- Ruben Montano (NAU) def. Kasper Parlklo (MSU) 6-1, 6-1
- Thomas Fisher (NAU) def. Dylan Harvala (MSU) 7-6(3), 6-7(6), 10-7
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 4, 3*, 5, 6