LAS VEGAS, Nev. — The Northern Arizona Men's Tennis team faced the UNLV Rebels, losing 4-1 on the road. The Rebels broke the Lumberjack's winning streak after a tough-fought battle. The 'Jacks are now 5-5 overall.
"We fought hard in doubles, but it wasn't quite enough," said Director of Tennis Ki Kroll.
Northern Arizona lost the doubles point to the Rebels 7-5 and 6-4 on courts three and one, respectively. The Lumberjacks doubles team included pairs Lucas Taylor and Sebastian Eguez, Ruben Montano and Tim Handel and Felix Schumann and Thomas Fisher.
"I was very happy with our effort level, and we are continuing to improve," said Kroll.
The Lumberjacks tied it up with Eguez besting UNLV's Neto 7-5, 6-0. With the score 1-1, the Rebels quickly responded with three wins, clinching the match at 4-1 before NAU could comeback. The Rebels remain undefeated at home after beating the Lumberjacks.
Northern Arizona will face a four-match week starting Tuesday, March 14. The Lumberjacks will travel to compete against New Mexico at 11 a.m. before coming home to compete in their season's home opener against Idaho March 16 at 10 a.m. The following day, Northern Arizona will compete in a double header at home against UC Riverside at 10 a.m. and Southern Utah at 2 p.m.
- Jakob Amilon/Evaldo Neto (UNLV) def. Lucas Taylor/Sebastian Eguez (NAU) 6-4
- Courtney Lock/Ruben Alberts (UNLV) vs. Ruben Montano/Tim Handel (NAU) DNF
- Adam Gage-Brown/Richard Solberg (UNLV) def. Felix Schumann/Thomas Fisher (NAU) 7-5
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
- Jakob Amilon (UNLV) def. Tim Handel (NAU) 6-3, 6-3
- Lucas Taylor (NAU) vs. Alexandr Cozbinov (UNLV) DNF
- Ruben Alberts (UNLV) def. Felix Schumann (NAU) 6-3, 7-6 (1)
- Sebastian Eguez (NAU) def. Evaldo Neto (UNLV) 7-5, 6-0
- Adam Gage-Brown (UNLV) vs. Ruben Montano (NAU) DNF
- Courtney Lock (UNLV) def. Thomas Fisher (NAU) 6-4, 6-3
Order of Finish: 4, 6, 1, 3,