ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — The Northern Arizona Men's Tennis team fell to the New Mexico Lobos in a tough 5-2 loss. The Lumberjacks fought hard, but could not pull off the win against a tough opponent. The 'Jacks are now 5-6 overall after coming off a 4-1 loss to UNLV and are going into their first home match of the season this weekend.
Northern Arizona was just shy of winning the doubles point after two matches went to tiebreakers. NAU's Ruben Montano and Tim Handel paired to give the 'Jacks their sole win in doubles 7-5, but it wasn't enough to clinch the point. New Mexico was able to overcome the Lumberjacks' aggressive start, and carry their success into singles.
The Lobos won the next four matches in singles over the Lumberjacks, taking nearly every court to three sets. New Mexico was able to clinch the match at 5-0; however, NAU still had a chance to respond. Sophomore Handel, reigning Big Sky Player of the Week, bested UNM's junior Bart Van Leijsen 6-4, 6-7 (3), 6-2 to put NAU on the scoreboard. Then transfer junior Sebastian Equez took UMN's redshirt senior Rodolfo Jauregui to three sets to end the match.
Northern Arizona will finally return home to host for the first time this season. The Lumberjacks will face Idaho March 16 at 10 a.m. and face UC Riverside and Southern Utah in a double header March 17 at 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. respectively.
- Ricky Hernandez-Tong/ Rodolfo Jauregui (UNM) def. Lucas Taylor/Sebastian Eguez (NAU) 7-6 (8-6)
- Ruben Montano /Tim Handel (NAU) def. Dominic West /Bart Van Leijsen (UNM) 7-5
- Jorge Escutia /Michael Tran (UNM) def. Felix Schumann /Thomas Fisher (NAU) 7-6 (5-3)
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1
- Tim Handel (NAU) def. Bart Van Leijsen (UNM) 6-4, 6-7(3), 6-2
- Ricky Hernandez-Tong (UNM) def. Lucas Taylor (NAU) 3-6, 6-3, 6-2
- Sebastian Eguez (NAU) def. Rodolfo Jauregui (UNM) 2-6, 6-3, 5-4(5)
- Dominic West (UNM) def. Felix Schumann (NAU) 6-2, 6-2
- Jorge Escutia (UNM) def. Ruben Montano (NAU) 6-4, 7-6(6)
- Michael Tran (UNM) def. Thomas Fisher (NAU) 6-3, 7-5
Order of Finish: 4, 6, 2*, 5, 1, 3