ISSAQUAH, Wash. – The Northern Arizona women's tennis team secured their seventh consecutive double-digit win season on Sunday by edging by Seattle, 4-3, at the Sammamish Club. The Lumberjacks won their third straight match and will enter next weekend's Big Sky Championship tournament with a 10-12 overall record as the second seed.
The Lumberjacks swept through the Redhawks in doubles action to claim the 1-0 advantage in the match. Juniors Ghizelene Doballah and Malia Wahinepio earned an 8-3 win at No. 1, freshmen Hannah Stone and Johanna Vang won at No. 2 by the same score and then juniors Alice Pacaut and Alice Walker completed the sweep with an 8-4 win at No. 3.
Vang made quick work of Seattle's Anna Lambert to push the NAU lead to 2-0 courtesy of a 6-0, 6-1 win at No. 4 singles. The Redhawks however pulled within one when Stone was forced to retire in the second set in her No. 2 singles match. Seattle then tied the match up when Doballah fell at No. 1 singles, 6-3, 6-0, to Katrina Schwab, making the match a best-of-three with the final three singles matches to go.
Wahinepio then got the Lumberjacks a victory at No. 3 and Pacaut sealed up the team's victory on Sunday with a win at No. 5. Seattle's Sarah Lucas provided the final 4-3 margin with a three-set super tiebreak victory over Walker at the last singles spot to conclude the day.
Stone and Vang's doubles win was the pair's team-leading 12th this spring. Vang and Pacaut each won their singles matches to give them 11 this season, tied for tops on the team. Wahinepio also won her tenth match of the season for her third consecutive double-digit win campaign of her career.
The Lumberjacks will next head into postseason play at the Big Sky Championship tournament starting Saturday in Sacramento, Calif. As the No. 2 seed, they will play Montana, the third seed, in Saturday's semifinals with a spot in Sunday's Big Sky Championship final on the line. It will be the third straight year that the two teams will face each other in the semifinals. The match is scheduled for a 10 a.m. start.
1. Ghizelene Doballah/Malia Wahinepio (NAU) def. Katrina Schwab/Corinne Wurden (SU), 8-3
2. Hannah Stone/Johanna Vang (NAU) def. Nicole Nakaoka/Lindsey Newman (SU), 8-3*
3. Alice Pacaut/Alice Walker (NAU) def. Mikaela Peterson/Aya Sugimoto (SU), 8-4
*Clinched Doubles Point
Order of Finish: (1, 2, 3)
1. Schwab (SU) def. Doballah (NAU), 6-3, 6-0
2. Newman (SU) def. Stone (NAU), 6-3, retired
3. Wahinepio (NAU) def. Gabriella Weissmann (SU), 6-3, 6-2
4. Vang (NAU) def. Anna Lambert (SU), 6-0, 6-1
5. Pacaut (NAU) def. Wurden, 6-4, 6-1**
6. Sarah Lucas (SU) def. Walker (NAU), 6-7 (5-7), 6-2, 1-0 (10-7)
Order of Finish: (4, 2, 1, 3, 5, 6)