ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. – After defeating New Mexico just once in program history prior to the 2012 season, the Northern Arizona women's tennis knocked off the Lobos for the second consecutive year on Saturday, 5-2. The win was the Lumberjacks' second of the weekend as they improved to 2-4 on the season.
"Our girls outcompeted that team, they played great today," said director of tennis Kim Bruno. "They're a better coached team this year and they fight. But we edged them out and that just shows how tough our girls are."
The Lumberjacks jumped on the home team from the onset, sweeping doubles play. Seniors Ghizelene Doballah and Nicole Perez got NAU's winning ways going with an 8-2 victory at No. 2 before sophomores Hannah Stone and Johanna Vang clinched the doubles point with their 8-6 win at No. 1. Seniors Alice Pacaut and Malia Wahinepio completed the sweep with their win at No. 3, ensuring the Lumberjacks' first doubles sweep of the season.
After the Lobos knotted the score at 1-1 behind Michaela Bezdickova's straight-set victory over Stone at No. 1, the Lumberjacks rattled off three consecutive victories to seal up their second win of their weekend stay in Albuquerque. Wahinepio quickly knocked off Katie Wookey, 6-1, 6-2, at No. 4 to give NAU the lead it would not relinquish, with Perez and Vang following with wins of their own. The two teams would split the final two matches with Pacaut moving her record to a team-best 4-2 at No. 5 to wrap up the match.
Vang and Pacaut each won their third consecutive singles match.
"The doubles was key for us today," Bruno said. "At one point, it could've gone either way, but our No. 2's stepped up and they gave us the momentum to win the other two matches at No. 1 and 3. That carried into singles and they took care of business."
The Lumberjacks aim for a sweep of the weekend when they play Pacific on Sunday. Play will begin at 9 a.m. at UNM's Linda Estes Tennis Complex. Like the Lumberjacks, the Tigers have already defeated UTEP and New Mexico this weekend and is 5-2 on the season.
1. Hannah Stone/Johanna Vang (NAU) def. Michaela Bezdickova/Laura Richardson (UNM), 8-6*
2. Ghizelene Doballah/Nicole Perez (NAU) def. Nikolina Grbac/Michaela Oldani (UNM), 8-2
3. Alice Pacaut/Malia Wahinepio (NAU) def. Kristin Eggleston/Katie Wookey (UNM), 8-4
*Clinched Doubles Point
Order of Finish: (2, 1, 3)
1. Bezdickova (UNM) def. Stone (NAU), 6-2, 6-0
2. Eggleston (UNM) def. Doballah (NAU), 3-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-7)
3. Vang (NAU) def. Grbac (UNM), 7-6 (7-2), 6-4**
4. Wahinepio (NAU) def. Wookey (UNM), 6-1, 6-2
5. Pacaut (NAU) def. Richardson (UNM), 6-2, 3-6, 6-4
6. Perez (NAU) def. Susanna Kuuttila (UNM), 6-3, 6-3
Order of Finish: (1, 4, 6, 3, 2, 5)