BOULDER, Colo. – In a rare Monday match, the Northern Arizona women's tennis team played Colorado tough in the final of three consecutive matches, but the Buffaloes prevailed in a 5-2 defeat of the Lumberjacks. Sophomore Hannah Stone and senior Nicole Perez defeated their Pac-12 counterparts in the loss as the Lumberjacks finished their three matches stretched over as three days in the state of Colorado with a 1-2 record.
Colorado won the best-of-three doubles matches to claim the doubles point with wins at No. 1 and 2. However, they were unable to stop NAU's No. 3 pair consisting of seniors Alice Pacaut and Malia Wahinepio as the Lumberjack duo won their sixth consecutive doubles match. Pacaut and Wahinepio were locked up in a tight battle but they outlasted
CU's Dhany Quevedo and Ashley Tiefel, 8-7, in a tiebreaker and improved to a team-best 7-2 record.
Julyette Steur and Winde Janssens would then win at No. 1 and 3 to begin singles play. Stone brought the Lumberjacks within 3-1 with her second consecutive victory, knocking off Quevedo, 6-3, 6-4, at No. 2, but Colorado clinched the match with a win at No. 4. The two teams wound up splitting the final two matches for the final margin.
Perez equaled her second-longest win streak of her career, coming out victorious in the only three-set match of the day. After dropping the first set to Mazy Watrous at No. 6, Perez rallied for set wins in the second and third to win her sixth straight match over the last two weeks. Perez, who started the season 0-4, is now tied with Pacaut and sophomore Johanna Vang with a 6-4 singles mark to lead the team. She previously posted a six-match win streak in 2011 which ranks only behind her 10-match win streak as a freshman in 2010.
The Lumberjacks (4-6 overall) will next head to Las Cruces, N.M. for a pair of matches on Friday and Saturday. They will play Colorado State on March 2 and New Mexico State on March 3.
1. Erin Sanders/Julyette Steur (CU) def. Hannah Stone/Johanna Vang (NAU), 8-5
2. Winde Janssens/Carla Manzi Tenorio (CU) def. Ghizelene Doballah/Nicole Perez (NAU), 8-4*
3. Alice Pacaut/Malia Wahinepio (NAU) def. Dhany Quevedo/Ashley Tiefel (CU), 8-7
*Clinched Doubles Point
Order of Finish: (1, 3, 2)
1. Steur (CU) def. Doballah (NAU), 6-2, 6-2
2. Stone (NAU) def. Quevedo (CU), 6-3, 6-4
3. Janssens (CU) def. Vang (NAU), 6-2, 6-4
4. Sanders (CU) def. Wahinepio (NAU), 7-6 (7-4), 6-1**
5. Manzi Tenorio (CU) def. Pacaut (NAU), 6-4, 7-6 (16-14)
6. Perez (NAU) def. Mazy Watrous (CU), 1-6, 6-2, 1-0 (10-3)
Order of Finish: (1, 3, 2, 4, 6, 5)