Vang & Rochin Earn Second Straight Doubles Win in Loss to UofA
TUCSON, Ariz. – For the second straight week, Northern Arizona's junior Johanna Vang and senior Tatum Rochin picked up their second straight win in doubles play defeating Shayne Austin and Lauren Marker from the University of Arizona. The rest of the Lumberjacks were not able to fair as well as NAU was defeated by the Wildcats, 7-0, who came into today's match ranked No. 73 in the nation.
"Johanna and Tatum have developed some great chemistry quickly to begin the season," said head coach Kim Bruno. "After a great win last week against ASU and a good win today against UofA, it is great to see the leaders of the team picking up wins in doubles."
Last week, Vang and Rochin were able to defeat Arizona State's Ebony Panoho and Joanna Smith, 6-3, and the Lumberjack duo only picked up their play this weekend allowing UofA's Austin and Marker to only pick up one game.
"We have been having so much fun playing together because we have great chemistry," said Vang. "I am able to serve and Tatum is executing very well at the net so we are feeding off each other and outplaying our opponents."
NAU faced fierce competition today as Arizona went into the match with two players in Lacey Smith and Akilah James ranked in the top-115. UofA's Kim Stubbe was also ranked No. 11 in the Southwest region. Junior transfer Sarah Maria Spruch was able to pick up the most games in singles play with six and was able to compete really well in her final set.
"When you play the best players in the nation, you have to learn from those matches and we will see how much we learned next week when we face Montana State," said Bruno.
The Lumberjacks will be at home next Friday, Jan. 31 for their first home match of the season and it is a big matchup with Big Sky opponent Montana State.
"This is a huge matchup with Montana State because it is an early Big Sky match," said Bruno. "There is a lot riding to start this early in conference. We are going to work this week in practice and put our best foot forward come next Friday."
- No. 114 Lacey Smith (UofA) def. Emelia Box (NAU) 6-0, 6-2
- Kim Stubbe (UofA) def. Johanna Vang (NAU) 6-0, 6-1
- No. 110 Akilah James (UofA) def. Hailey Rochin (NAU) 6-1, 6-1
- Shayne Austin (UofA) def. Jordan Denesik (NAU) 6-1, 6-1
- Lauren Marker (UofA) def. Tatum Rochin (NAU) 6-2, 6-1
- Laura Odom (UofA) def. Sarah Maria Spruch (NAU) 6-2, 6-4
Order of finish: 5, 2, 1, 3, 4, 6
- Lacey Smith/Kim Stubbe (UofA) def. Emelia Box/Hailey Rochin (NAU) 6-0
- Johanna Vang/Tatum Rochin (NAU) def. Shayne Austin/Lauren Marker (UofA) 6-1
- Akilah James/Inge Hendrikx (UofA) def. Sarah Maria Spruch/Jordan Denesik (NAU) 6-0
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3