Denesik Picks Up Win in Loss to UTEP
EL PASO, Texas – The Northern Arizona women started their three-match weekend in El Paso, Texas on Friday facing UTEP and the Lumberjacks sophomore Jordan Denesik was able to pick up the lone win for NAU in a 6-1 loss at the hands of the Miners.
Denesik has won her second straight match at the No. 4 position defeating UTEP's Gabi Vazquez 1-6, 7-6 (4), 7-5. Senior Tatum Rochin and junior Sarah Maria Spruch were both able to take their matches to a third set. Rochin dropped the first set 6-7 (5) but was able to bounce back in the second set winning 6-4. Rochin would eventually drop the final set to UTEP's Daphne Visscher 1-0 (10-8). Spruch lost her first set 6-3 but fought back in the second 6-7 (6) to force a third set against Matilda Rose Tench but Spruch would lose the deciding set 6-4.
The Lumberjacks competed very well against the Miners in doubles play but were not able to pick up a win in doubles play going 0-3 and losing the doubles point. Sophomore Emelia Box and freshman Hailey Rochin dropped a close match to Rebeca Calvillo and Davina Meza 8-6. Junior Johanna Vang and Tatum Rochin also dropped a tight 8-5 doubles match to Marie LeBlond and Daphne Visscher.
The Lumberjacks will now head back on the road to join the Northern Arizona men's tennis team in Las Cruces, N.M. to face New Mexico State and Lamar to close out their road trip. Play will begin for the women at 10 a.m. on Saturday against New Mexico State.
- Rebeca Calvillo/Davina Meza (UTEP) def. Emelia Box/Hailey Rochin (NAU) 8-6
- Marie LeBlond/Daphne Visscher(UTEP) def. Johanna Vang/Tatum Rochin (NAU) 8-5
- Matilda Rose Tench/Gabi Vazquez (UTEP) def. Sarah Maria Spruch/Jordan Denesik (NAU) 8-3
- Rebeca Calvillo (UTEP) def. Emelia Box (NAU) 6-3, 6-1
- Davina Meza (UTEP) def. Johanna Vang (NAU) 6-3, 6-4
- Marie LeBlond (UTEP) def. Hailey Rochin (NAU) 2-6, 6-0, 6-2
- Jordan Denesik (NAU) def. Gabi Vazquez (UTEP) 1-6, 7-6 (4), 7-5
- Daphne Visscher (UTEP) def. Tatum Rochin (NAU) 6-7 (5), 6-4, 1-0 (10-8)
- Matilda Rose Tench (UTEP) def. Sarah Maria Spruch (NAU) 6-3, 6-7 (6), 6-4