Lumberjacks End Road Trip with 5-2 Loss to New Mexico State
LAS CRUCES, N.M. – The Northern Arizona women's tennis team three-match weekend came to an end on Sunday with a loss at the hands of New Mexico State by a score of 5-2. The Lumberjacks were able to pick up a doubles point against the Aggies but just one singles win from Emelia Box.
"Obviously a disappointed weekend for us," said head coach Kim Bruno. "We went in thinking we can win all of these matches and actually put ourselves into position to do so but we could not finish."
Box went undefeated in Sunday's match against New Mexico State as she won in doubles play along Hailey Rochin defeating the Aggie's Susana Alcaraz and Denise Van Der Ben 8-7. Box also was able to pick up a win in singles play at the No. 1 position defeating Ros-Polly Nguyen from New Mexico State by a score of 2-6, 6-4, 6-2.
"Everyday this weekend we had opportunities to win but we just didn't close them," said Box. "Everyone's attitude is still positive so now we know what we need to do to work on for the next few matches."
Johanna Vang and Tatum Rochin continue their impressive start to the season in doubles play picking up another win. Vang and Tatum Rochin were able to take down the Aggie's Ros-Polly Nguyen and Brittany Collens 8-4 to give the Lumberjacks the doubles point. The win over Aggies gives Vang and Tatum Rochin their sixth win in doubles play this season.
"We are obviously disappointed bceause we had so many close matches," said Vang. "We need to come together as a team and figure out how to win those big points."
The loss now gives the Lumberjacks a 2-6 overall record this season and will return to Flagstaff where they will play their first match in Sedona this season, on Friday, Feb. 21 against the University of Nevada with play beginning at 1 p.m. at the Enchantment Resort.
"We really need to regroup and learn how to win," said Bruno. "Having match points and losing is not good enough and we need to correct those mistakes."
- Emelia Box/Hailey Rochin (NAU) def. Susana Alcaraz/Denise Van Der Ben (NMSU) 8-7
- Johanna Vang/Tatum Rochin (NAU) def. Ros-Polly Nguyen/Brittany Collens (NMSU) 8-4
- Annemieke Witte/Ashvarya Shrivastava (NMSU) def. Sarah Maria Spruch/Olivia Headford (NAU) 8-2
- Emelia Box (NAU) def. Ros-Polly Nguyen (NMSU) 2-6, 6-4, 6-2
- Susana Alcaraz (NMSU) def. Johanna Vang (NAU) 7-5, 7-5
- Denise Van Der Ben (NMSU) def. Jordan Denesik (NAU) 6-2, 6-1
- Ashvarya Shrivastava (NMSU) def. Hailey Rochin (NAU) 6-1, 6-4
- Annemieke Witte (NMSU) def. Tatum Rochin (NAU) 6-3, 6-1
- Brittany Collens (NMSU) def. Sarah Maria Spruch (NAU) 6-3, 6-1