Three in a Row for NAU After 5-2 Win Over UNC
FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. – The Northern Arizona women's tennis team continued its winning ways in the Big Sky as they defeated Northern Colorado 5-2 for the Lumberjacks third straight win.
"I am so proud of how our team competed today," said head coach Kim Bruno. "We showed a lot of heart and fight at the big moments and didn't let the little things get to us."
For the second straight match, the Lumberjacks were able to come away with the doubles point winning two of the three doubles matches to start out the match with a 1-0 lead. Johanna Vang and Sarah Maria Spruch got back to their winning ways in doubles with the 8-3 win over Laura Wehner and Chrissie Hoolahan. Vang and Spruch have now won four of the five doubles matches they have played together this season.
Emelia Box and Hailey Rochin also picked up a win in doubles play with an 8-2 win over Beth Coton and Stephanie Catlin. Box and Rochin win was the duo's second straight win in the Big Sky and have now won four of their last five matches.
The Lumberjacks are playing their best doubles of the season as the Lumberjacks have won their last three doubles point.
"I am so proud of my team today," said Box. "Everyone put in 100 percent and all of the tough matches we have had this season has given us more reason to fight harder. I am excited for us to keep the momentum going and fight for a conference title."
Vang continued her winning ways in singles play as she has led the charge of the Lumberjacks winning streak. The native of Sweden was able to get her fifth straight win in singles as Vang defeated Adriana Nieto 6-2, 6-2. That gives Vang four straight wins at the No. 1 position for NAU and is now 3-1 in Big Sky play.
Rochin was able to get her second straight win in singles play with the 6-3, 6-2 win at the No. 4 slot over Northern Colorado's Hilary Walters-West. Jordan Denesik picked up her third straight win in singles play over the Bear's Hoolahan 7-5, 7-6.
"Every week we are getting better as individuals and as a team," said Bruno. "The future is bright because with each match our confidence in ourselves and each other is building."
The Lumberjacks will close out the week at home on Sunday against Montana at 10 a.m. at Continental Country Club.
- Emelia Box/Hailey Rochin (NAU) def. Beth Coton/Stephanie Catlin (UNC) 8-2
- Johanna Vang/Sarah Maria Spruch (NAU) def. Laura Wehner/Chrissie Hoolahan (UNC) 8-3
- Adriana Nieto/Courtney Schulte (UNC) def. Jordan Denesik/Tatum Rochin (NAU) 7-6
- Johanna Vang (NAU) def. Adriana Nieto (UNC) 6-2, 6-2
- Emelia Box (NAU) def. Stephanie Catlin (UNC) 6-7, 6-4, 10-7
- Jordan Denesik (NAU) def. Chrissie Hoolahan (UNC) 7-5, 7-6
- Hailey Rochin (NAU) def. Hilary Walters-West (UNC) 6-3, 6-2
- Laura Whener (UNC) def. Sarah Maria Spruch (NAU) 4-6, 7-6, 10-4
- Beth Coton (UNC) def. Tatum Rochin (NAU) 6-2, 6-4