Women’s Tennis Drops 7-0 Match to Idaho
SEDONA, Ariz. – The Northern Arizona women's tennis team welcomed future Big Sky Conference opponent Idaho to Sedona for one of the Lumberjack's final non-conference matchups and the Vandals dismantled the Lumberjacks as Idaho cruised to the 7-0 shutout.
"We need to clean up the little things in our play right now," said head coach Kim Bruno. "One thing we can take away from today's match is that we need to play cleaner and smarter tennis in order to compete."
The Lumberjacks only came away with one win against Idaho in both singles and doubles play and it came from the No. 1 doubles team Emelia Box and Hailey Rochin. Box and Rochin were able to defeat Victoria Lozano and Almudena Sanz in a tough 8-7 match for the win. Unfortunately, that was the only win Northern Arizona was able to come up with against the Vandals.
The Lumberjacks were swept in singles play with only one match going to a third set. The only Lumberjack that was able to win a set in singles was Tatum Rochin at the No. 6 position. After dropping the first set 6-2 to Idaho's Rita Bermudez, Rochin fought back in the second set with a 6-4 score to force a third set. Bermudez would eventually take the match with an 11-9 win in the third set.
The Lumberjacks will now head back on the road for a Big Sky road trip facing Weber State and Idaho State beginning on April 5 against Weber State.
- Emelia Box/Hailey Rochin (NAU) def. Victoria Lozano/Almudena Sanz (UI) 8-7
- Galina Bykova/Rita Bermudez (UI) def. Johanna Vang/Sarah Maria Spruch (NAU) 8-4
- Belen Barcenila/Sophie Vickeers (UI) def. Jordan Denesik/Tatum Rochin (NAU) 8-2
- Victoria Lozano (UI) def. Johanna Vang (NAU) 6-4, 6-4
- Almudena Sanz (UI) def. Emelia Box (NAU) 6-1, 6-1
- Galina Bykova (UI) def. Jordan Denesik (NAU) 6-2, 6-2
- Sophie Vickers (UI) def. Hailey Rochin (NAU) 6-4, 6-3
- Belen Barcenila (UI) def. Sarah Maria Spruch (NAU) 6-1, 6-3
- Rita Bermudez (UI) def. Tatum Rochin (NAU) 6-2, 4-6, 11-9