FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. — The Northern Arizona Women's Tennis team dominated on the courts over Portland State for their fifth consecutive win. The Lumberjacks swept the Vikings 7-0 at home dropping only one set. Northern Arizona remains undefeated in conference at 3-0 and are now 5-2 overall.
"We have been doing really well against our opponents, and I'm extremely proud of them," said Assistant Coach Orsi Golovics. "Today was a good win on all of our courts."
Northern Arizona swept in doubles for the second time this weekend winning all three matches 6-2, 6-1 and 6-2. After sweeping Southern Utah, NAU's doubles teams remained the same with pairs Blanka Szavay and Chiara Tomasetti, Brandy Walker and Hanneke Lodewijks and Marta Lewandowska and Hailey Rochin. The Lumberjacks have found a consistent doubles group who have good chemistry and are pulling off important wins for the team.
In singles, Marta Lewandowska's 6-0, 6-0 sweep on court five carried the momentum over from doubles. The senior from Poland won her first singles match this weekend against Southern Utah and has found her stride again moving further into season. Northern Arizona led the Vikings in singles until the match was clinched after wins from Tomasetti and Szavay. Szavay was named Big Sky Player of the Week last week and continues to lead the 'Jacks in wins with an undefeated 6-0 record this season. The Lumberjacks continued in the win column with Walker, Lodewijks and Granville sweeping the board. Northern Arizona remains undefeated at home.
"It's really important to focus on what we do best going into our next few home matches," said Golovics. "UTEP will be a strong opponent and we need to stay humble."
The Lumberjacks have a full week of practice before hosting three non-conference opponents next weekend. Starting March 3, the 'Jacks will compete against UTEP, match time is set for 2 p.m. The Lumberjacks will also take on Utah State and Pima Community College March 5 at 10 a.m. and 3 p.m., respectively. All matches will be played in the Aquatic and Tennis Complex and are free for all who attend.
- Chiara Tomasetti/Blanka Szavay (NAU) def. Siena Peri/Tracy Dong (PSU) 6-2
- Brandy Walker/Hanneke Lodewijks (NAU) def. Sally Partington/Taylor Rees (PSU) 6-1
- Hailey Rochin/Marta Lewandowska (NAU) def. Georgia Dobell/Sabina Preda (PSU) 6-2
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1
- Hanneke Lodewijks (NAU) def. Tracy Dong (PSU) 6-1, 6-4
- Chiara Tomasetti (NAU) def. Siena Peri (PSU) 6-0, 6-2
- Blanka Szavay (NAU) def. Georgia Dobell (PSU) 6-1, 6-2
- Brandy Walker (NAU) def. Sally Partington (PSU) 6-3, 6-3
- Marta Lewandowska (NAU) def. Sabina Preda (PSU) 6-0, 6-0
- Eirene Granville (NAU) def. Taylor Rees (PSU) 6-1, 5-6, 7-2
Order of Finish: 5, 2, 3*, 4, 1, 6