FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. — In their sixth straight win, the Northern Arizona University Women's Tennis team beat the University of Texas – El Paso Miners 5-2 to remain undefeated at home. This win did not come easy for the Lumberjacks, as the women dropped a couple tough games. Northern Arizona moves to 6-2 overall before taking on Utah State Sunday, March 5 at home.
"Throughout the week we are striving to be better athletes and every match we give our best effort," said Assistant Coach Orsi Golovics. "We went into this match knowing they were going to be tough, we just had to play our game and that's what we did."
Northern Arizona got off to a strong start in doubles winning 6-2 and 7-5 to get the point over UTEP. Chiara Tomasetti and Blanka Szavay finished first on court one taking on No. 55 ranked pair Vivienne Kulicke and Milou Pietersz. It was a big win for the 'Jacks, as they came from behind to take the lead over the nationally ranked Miners. NAU's Hailey Rochin and Marta Lewandowska combined to clinch the point for the Lumberjacks and garner their first non-conference win of the season.
In singles, the Lumberjacks won three straight to clinch the win before UTEP had a chance to respond. Starting with freshman Brandy Walker's win over UTEP's junior Duda Santos 6-2, 6-2, NAU won the next two with Lewandowska's 6-0, 6-3 win and Tomasetti's 6-0, 6-3 win. The Miners responded with two, overcoming Hanneke Lodewijks and Eirene Granville, who dropped her first loss of the season. To end the day, Szavay put the final point up on the board for the Lumberjacks and remains undefeated this season while also leading the 'Jacks in wins with seven.
The Lumberjacks have a day off before facing the Utah State Aggies this Sunday, March 5. Match time is set for 10 a.m. in the Aquatic and Tennis Complex. The match is free for all who attend.
- Chiara Tomasetti/Blanka Szavay (NAU) def. Vivienne Kulicke/Milou Pietersz (UTEP) 6-2
- Brandy Walker/Hanneke Lodewijks (NAU) def. Duda Santos/Lois Wagenvoort (UTEP) 6-6
- Hailey Rochin/Marta Lewandowska (NAU) def. Daphne Visscher/Raven Bennett (UTEP) 7-5
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2
- Vivienne Kulicke (UTEP) def. Hanneke Lodewijks (NAU) 3-6, 3-6
- Chiara Tomasetti (NAU) def. Milou Pietersz (UTEP) 6-0, 6-3
- Blanka Szavay (NAU) def. Daphne Visscher (UTEP) 7-5, 6-0
- Brandy Walker (NAU) def. Duda Santos (UTEP) 6-2, 6-2
- Marta Lewandowska (NAU) def. Lois Wagenvoort (UTEP) 6-0, 6-3
- Raven Bennett (UTEP) def. Eirene Granville (NAU) 4-6, 2-6
Order of Finish: 4, 5, 2*, 1, 6, 3