LARAMIE, Wyo. — The Northern Arizona Women's Tennis team remained on the road to face the University of Wyoming Cowgirls in what was a heartbreaking end to their nine-match winning streak. The Lumberjacks dropped their first loss in 10 matches 4-3 after the Cowgirls came from behind to get the win. The Lumberjacks are now 9-3 overall, while still remaining undefeated in conference and at home.
"It was a tough match today," Director of Tennis Ki Kroll said. "We fought hard, but it wasn't enough against a strong Wyoming team."
In doubles, the Lumberjacks started off strong with senior pair Haliey Rochin and Marta Lewandowska winning 6-4 on court three. Wyoming responded with a 6-4 win over Brandy Walker and Hanneke Lodewijks, who lost for the first time this season as a pair. The Lumberjacks then came back to clinch the doubles point on court one with Chiara Tomasetti's and Blanka Szavay's 7-5 win over Wyoming's Elisa Koonik and Tessa van der Ploeg. Tomasetti and Szavay still lead the team in doubles wins with eight.
The 'Jacks went into singles leading the Cowgirls 1-0. Northern Arizona and Wyoming went back and forth for the next four matches, battling for the advantage over the other. The Lumberjacks were looking good, with the score 3-2; however, NAU's wins from Tomasetti and Szavay were not enough to give the Lumberjacks their tenth straight win this season. The Cowgirls won on courts five and six over Lewandowska and Eirene Granville to break the 'Jacks winning streak. The final result was a 4-3 comeback win for Wyoming and a tough way to lose for the Lumberjacks.
Despite today's loss, the Lumberjacks remain undefeated in conference at 4-0 and continue their undefeated record at home. Those records will be tested Tuesday, March 21 when Northern Arizona returns home to host conference opponent Idaho State at 4 p.m. The match will be held in the Aquatic and Tennis Complex and is free for those who attend.
- Chiara Tomasetti/Blanka Szavay (NAU) def. Elisa Koonik/Tessa van der Ploeg (WYO) 7-5
- Dorottya Jonas/Ana Tkachenko (WYO) def. Brandy Walker/Hanneke Lodewijks (NAU) 6-4
- Hailey Rochin/Marta Lewandowska (NAU) def. Magdalena Stencel/Miranda Talbert (WYO) 6-4
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1
- Magdalena Stencel (WYO) def. Hanneke Lodewijks (NAU) 6-2, 6-7 (2), 6-1
- Chiara Tomasetti (NAU) def. Dorottya Jonas (WYO) 7-6 (3), 6-3
- Blanka Szavay (NAU) def. Tessa van der Ploeg (WYO) 6-4, 6-3
- Elisa Koonik (WYO) def. Brandy Walker (NAU) 6-1, 6-3
- Milka Genkova (WYO) def. Marta Lewandowska (NAU) 7-6 (4), 6-3
- Ana Tkachenko (WYO) def. Eirene Granville (NAU) 6-1, 6-0
Order of Finish: 4, 3, 2, 1, 6, 5*