FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. — The sun and wind proved to be difficult to play in on both sides of the net, as the Northern Arizona Women's Tennis team hosted the Idaho State Bengals late afternoon at the Aquatic and Tennis Complex. The Lumberjacks beat the Bengals in a close 4-3 match after being up 3-0. The 'Jacks successfully defended their undefeated home winning record, now 6-0, and increased to 5-0 in conference.
"This was a tough match for us," Director of Tennis Ki Kroll said. "But we came out and won."
Northern Arizona won the doubles point 6-1, 6-3 with pairs Brandy Walker and Hanneke Lodewijks and seniors Hailey Rochin and Marta Lewandowska. Before the Bengals had much of a chance to overpower the Lumberjacks, the point was clinched. The Lumberjacks have been consistent in doubles on all three courts and have garnered 26 wins so far this season.
The Lumberjacks went into singles 1-0 over Idaho State before winning the next three points and the match. To start, points were not going the way either team was hoping, as the win started to pick up and the sun was blindly shining above. Chiara Tomasetti, regionally ranked 18th, pointed the Lumberjacks toward victory on court one as she took on Hristina Cvetkovic in two sets 6-0, 6-1. Then senior Lewandowska put NAU up 3-0 after beating ISU's Melissa Coburn 6-1, 6-2. The matches were getting close on the remaining courts, going back and forth and challenging for a third set; however, senior Rochin stepped it up for the 'Jacks in her first singles match in conference competition.
Rochin took on ISU's Megan Poe in a 6-4, 7-6(4) win on court five to clinch the match giving NAU their 10th win of the season and fifth in conference. Although the match was clinched, the Bengals did not give up, winning the next three matches over Szavay and Granville, their first conference losses this season, and Walker.
The Lumberjacks are back in action this weekend heading south to take on the Arizona State Sundevils Friday, March 24 at 1:30 p.m. The match was originally scheduled late January, but was postponed due to weather conditions. The 'Jacks will then return home to host the Eastern Washington Eagles Sunday, March 26 at 2 p.m. The match will be held in the Aquatic and Tennis Complex and is free for all who attend.
- Chiara Tomasetti/Blanka Szavay (NAU) vs. Huibre-Mare Botes/Louise-Mare Botes (ISU) DNF
- Brandy Walker/Hanneke Lodewijks (NAU) def. Megan Poe/Melissa Coburn (ISU) 6-1
- Hailey Rochin/Marta Lewandowska (NAU) def. Madison Fenske/Hristina Cvetkovic (ISU) 6-3
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1
- Chiara Tomasetti (NAU) def. Hristina Cvetkovic (ISU) 6-0, 6-1
- Huibre-Mare Botes (ISU) def. Blanka Szavay (NAU) 3-6, 7-6(3), 8-10
- Louise-Mare Botes (ISU) def. Brandy Walker (NAU) 4-6, 6-4, 4-6
- Marta Lewandowska (NAU) def. Melissa Coburn (ISU) 6-1, 6-2
- Hailey Rochin (NAU) def. Megan Poe (ISU) 6-4, 7-6(4)
- Angela Walker (ISU) def. Eirene Granville (NAU) 4-6, 6-7(3)
Order of Finish: 1, 4, 5*, 6, 2, 3