GRAND FORKS, N.D. — The Northern Arizona Women's Tennis team remains undefeated in conference after sweeping North Dakota 7-0 early Saturday, April 1. This is the Lumberjacks second straight sweep after beating Eastern Washington last weekend. The 'Jacks increase to 12-4 overall and 7-0 in conference going into Sunday's match up against South Dakota State.
"We have been playing at a consistent level," Director of Tennis Ki Kroll said. "I'm proud of how well we have worked together and pushed each other."
For the second straight weekend, Northern Arizona did not drop a single set to their opponent, first dominating in doubles and then sweeping singles. The Lumberjacks won doubles on all three courts 6-4, 6-1, 6-1. NAU's doubles teams all remain undefeated in conference at 6-0. Pair Chiara Tomasetti and Blanka Szavay still lead the 'Jacks will an overall 11-2 record. Pairs Hanneke Lodewijks and Brandy Walker and seniors Hailey Rochin and Marta Lewandowska also increased their records, both with nine overall wins.
Going into the singles, the Lumberjacks continued to dominate winning on every court in two sets. With wins from Tomasetti and Rochin, NAU was up 3-0 and the Fighting Hawks could not fight back the 'Jacks. The Lumberjacks clinched the match 4-0 with Lodewijks 6-1, 6-2 win over UND's Mimi Yunker. The Lumberjacks continued with wins from Walker, Szavay and Lewandowska to sweep the Hawks 7-0.
Northern Arizona remains on the road to compete against South Dakota State Sunday, April 2. The match is set for 10 a.m. against the Jackrabbits.
- Chiara Tomasetti/Blanka Szavay (NAU) def. Faith Lee/Preethi Kasilingam (UND) 6-4
- Brandy Walker/Hanneke Lodewijks (NAU) def. Sophie Allen-Fisher/Mimi Yunker (UND) 6-1
- Marta Lewandowska/Hailey Rochin (NAU) def. Alysse Nakasato/Alex Revenig (UND) 6-1
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1
- Hanneke Lodewijks (NAU) def. Mimi Yunker (UND) 6-1, 6-2
- Chiara Tomasetti (NAU) def. Preethi Kasilingam (UND) 6-4, 6-0
- Blanka Szavay (NAU) def. Faith Lee (UND) 6-3, 6-1
- Brandy Walker (NAU) def. Sophie Allen-Fisher (UND) 7-6(4), 6-3
- Marta Lewandowska (NAU) def. Alex Revenig (UND) 6-3, 6-1
- Hailey Rochin (NAU) def. Alysse Nakasato (UND) 6-3, 6-1
Order of Finish: 2, 6, 1*, 5, 3, 4