MISSOULA, Mont. — The Northern Arizona Women's Tennis team has clinched the regular season championship for the second year in a row with a first round bye in the Big Sky Conference tournament as the No. 1 seed. After today's 7-0 sweep over the Montana Grizzlies, the Lumberjacks have garnered an impressive 10-0 conference record and are 16-4 overall. The 'Jacks have just one match left and will return home to host senior day and end their regular season competition.
"The women came to play today," Director of Tennis Ki Kroll said. "We had a lot of energy and enthusiasm."
The Lumberjacks started with doubles winning on every court 6-1, 6-2, 6-2. Starting with senior pair Marta Lewandowska and Hailey Rochin, the 'Jacks began their dominating sweep over the Grizzlies. The two beat Montana's Anabel Carbo and Cam Kincaid 6-1 before Brandy Walker and Hanneke Lodewijks clinched the doubles point on court two 6-2. The Lumberjacks have increased to 41 overall doubles wins, 25 of which were against conference opponents.
Northern Arizona went into singles 1-0 with high energy and the Grizzlies were not able to respond. Lodewijks and No. 18 Chiara Tomasetti started off for the 'Jacks putting them up 3-0 over Montana before senior Blanka Szavay clinched the match at 4-0. Even still the Lumberjacks were able to sweep the board, with wins from Walker, Rochin and Eirene Granville on their respective courts. The Lumberjacks remain in first place increasing to a six-match winning streak after sweeping the Montana Grizzlies 7-0.
"It's always tough to play in Montana, and the team and I are very fortunate to come away with two important wins," said Kroll.
The Lumberjacks will host for the final time this season against Weber State Saturday, April 22. The 'Jacks will honor their three seniors on senior day before competing in the Big Sky Conference tournament the following weekend. The Lumberjacks will aim to defend their undefeated home record and go into the tournament as the only 11-0 undefeated team. The match is set for 10 a.m. in the Aquatic and Tennis Complex and will be free for all who attend.
- Blanka Szavay/Chiara Tomasetti (NAU) def. Catherine Orfanos/Hannah Sulz (UM) 6-2
- Hanneke Lodewijks/Brandy Walker (NAU) def. Nathalie Joanlanne/Stanzi Stuijt (UM) 6-2
- Marta Lewandowska/Hailey Rochin (NAU) def. Ana Carbo/Cam Kincaid (UM) 6-1
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1
- Hanneke Lodewijks (NAU) def. Lidia Dukic (UM) 6-1, 6-4
- Chiara Tomasetti (NAU) def. Catherine Orfanos (UM) 6-2, 6-0
- Blanka Szavay (NAU) def. Nathalie Joanlanne (UM) 6-4, 6-3
- Brandy Walker (NAU) def. Cam Kincaid (UM) 5-7, 6-2, 7-5
- Hailey Rochin (NAU) def. Milica Panic (UM) 6-2, 6-4
- Eirene Granville (NAU) def. Stanzi Stuijt (UM) 6-3, 6-1
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3*, 4, 5, 6